Researching the family and descendants of Nunzio Castrovinci

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Researching the family and descendants of Nunzio Castrovinci

Post by siskojnash »

I am researching the family of Nunzio Castrovinci and Marianna Patella. Nunzio Castrovinci was born May 30, 1868 in Frazzano, Messina, Sicily and died on February 4, 1939 in Queens County, New York. He emigrated on November 19, 1897 on the S.S. Karamania. Thanks to people on this site, I have this document. At that time, he lived at 242 Elizabeth Street in New York, New York. Later, he lived at 93 Church Street in New London, Connecticut.
His wife, Marianna, was born on March 18, 1874, in Palermo, Sicily. According to Palermo records, she married Nunzio on August 1, 1895. She emigrated in 1899 on the Spartan Prince. I already have this document also. I don't know when or how she died and would very much like to find this out.
On July 24, 1914, they came back to the U.S. after visiting Sicily with their family on the SS Prinzess Irene. I have this document also, and also have Nunzio's passport application and 1930 US Census. I have the naturalization index for Nunzio, but don't have his naturalization documents, or Marianna's.
The children are: Rosaria Castrovinci, born Nov 5, 1895 in Frazzano, Sicily; Giuseppina, who was born April 15, 1900 in New York, I think; Lorenzo, who was born Jan 1, 1902 in New York; Filippo, who was born on Mary 27, 1904 in New York; Frederick, who was born on June 9, 1906 in New York and died October 12, 1976, in North Carolina, I think. He was a doctor. I would very much like to know about his family in particular, and want to know if it became a family of doctors, even today.
Another child is Francesco Castrovinci, born June 3, 1908 in New York; and last is Frances Castrovinci, born in 1910 in New York, I think. I found out that the second child, Giuseppina Castrovinci, married a man with the last name of Licandro and had a child named Rudolf Licandro, who was born in 1923 in New York, New York.
I very much want to find out any other details I can about this family, and be able to maybe even trace the branches of this family to the present day. This family had broken off from my fiancee's at least partially because of Nunzio and Marianna. I would like to be able to try to bring the two families back together again, if possible. Thank you for your time.
siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Re: Researching the family and descendants of Nunzio Castrov

Post by siskojnash »

Does anyone have any ideas about this family? Also, is there a way of finding out exactly what happened to Nunzio Castrovinci without getting the death record? I haven't noticed any newspaper articles about how he died.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

the websites:
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... earch.html

http://www.www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearls ... tters.html

www.paginebianche.it for any possible relatives bearing same surname and writing to them in italian form letter at this websitge
www.initaly.com/gene/mem/letter1.htm

www.nonsolocap.it and put in Frazzano, click cerca and click when Frazzano comes up blue and scroll down to MUNICIPIO for address to send requests for documents. =Peter=
~Peter~
siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Post by siskojnash »

That would work for Nunzio and Marianna's ancestors from Italy, but in this case, I'm trying to find out more about his family in the United States, always assuming some of the children didn't move back to Italy. That happened with one of the branches of my fiancee's family. I want to try to trace this family to today if possible, and maybe try to bring the two branches back together again.
I have the names of the parents on both sides, even though I don't yet have any details about them. I wish there was an Italian Census that I could use.
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Frederick, who was born on June 9, 1906 in New York and died October 12, 1976, in North Carolina, I think. He was a doctor.
Social Security Death Index
about Frederick Castrovinci
Name: Frederick Castrovinci
SSN:
Last Residence: 11731 East Northport, Suffolk, New York, United States of America
Born: 4 Oct 1906
Died: Oct 1976
State (Year) SSN issued: New York (Before 1951)

Laura

several references to Dr. Frederick Castrovinci on googlebooks:

http://www.google.com/search?q=frederic ... art=0&sa=N
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Did you try the telephone directory for the USA at www.numberway.com? =Peter=
~Peter~
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

There is a Fred Castrovinci in North carolina (probably his son or grandson) so go to www.numberway.com. He is the only one listed so he must be related.

There is a NUNZIO CASTROVINCI in Cleveland Ohio under N. castrovinci. =Peter=
~Peter~
siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Post by siskojnash »

Thank you. I noticed the Nunzio Castrovinci in Ohio before, but hadn't yet thought that much of it, since at least to this point, none of my fiancee's family ended up in that area. Of course, that doesn't really mean anything. Some of her family is in Florida and California.
I have a feeling that the SSDI above for a Frederick Castrovinci isn't the right one, since I got his birthdate from a U.S. Passport application that his father, Nunzio, did. The family is also in the 1930 Census. Aside from Nunzio dying for some reason in 1939 in Queens County, New York, I don't know anything of the family after that point, aside from finding out that Frederick had died for certain.
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

I found out that the second child, Giuseppina Castrovinci, married a man with the last name of Licandro and had a child named Rudolf Licandro, who was born in 1923 in New York, New York.
from the free site:
http://www.italiangen.org/vitalreclist.stm

Surname Liccandro
Given Name Giuseppe
Month of Marriage Aug
Day of Marriage 17
Year of Marriage 1921
County Manhattan
Certificate Number 31248

Surname Castrovinci
Given Name Giuseppina
Month of Marriage Aug
Day of Marriage 17
Year of Marriage 1921
County Manhattan
Certificate Number 31248
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

June 7, 1923, arrival for Joseph Licandro from a trip to Italy:

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0030

on the same boat:
and June 7, 1923 arrival for Giuseppina Castrovinci Lincandro and their child Angelo Licandro (Rudolph?)

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0022

Angelo was ten months old.... so born approx. on September 1922...

Another September 19, 1923 arrival manifest for Joseph Licandro

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0030

Laura

edit to add

Social Security Death Index
about Rudolph Licandro
Name: Rudolph Licandro
SSN:
Born: 6 Jul 1922
Last Benefit: 11791 Syosset, Nassau, New York, United States of America
Died: Nov 1982
State (Year) SSN issued: New York (Before 1951)

You can search the SSDI here:

http://stevemorse.org/ssdi/ssdi.html

there is only one other Frederick Castrovinci but born on 1946 - died on 2005... so I believe the above is the correct one...
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Post by siskojnash »

Thank you! Could you please post these passenger lists so that I can download them and add them to the family tree? I noticed this obituary before, but hadn't realized it could be a son of the Frederick Castrovinci I was looking for. Is it possible for passport applications to have wrong info about childrens' birth dates?
siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Post by siskojnash »

The SSDI says Frederick Castrovinci was born on October 4, 1906 and the Passport application for Nunzio, his father, says June 9, 1906. When I put documents like that, census stuff, or naturalizations, pretty much anything with information, I make a point of transcribing every piece of info that is on it. I learn alot more by doing that. I transcribe it exactly as it appears on the document, and make notes if something is obviously completely wrong on it.
This is really something finding out about this stuff. I had wondered if this family became ones of doctors. I wonder if the other children of Nunzio and Marianna had children and grandchildren also.
siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Post by siskojnash »

I read the obituary for Frederick N Castrovinci and noticed that he had a brother, Robert Vincent Castrovinci who was also a doctor. He's an opthamologist.
I found quite a few things when I typed Robert's name in yahoo's search engine. I was wondering whether or not there was an e-mail someplace to contact him and ask him about the family tree stuff.
There are phone numbers and addresses for medical offices that he apparently currently uses. I suppose I could attempt to use one of those, but don't want to end up keeping someone off the phone who needs his help. So I'm looking for another way to be able to ask him about this stuff. Does anyone have any ideas how I can do that?
Also, could someone please post the 3 passenger lists above? There are two for Giuseppe Licandro: June 7 and September 19, 1923, and also the passenger list for Giuseppina Castrovinci Lincandro on June 7, 1923? That one may be the same page as Giuseppe Licandro. I'm not sure. I would very much like to be able to download copies of these so that I can add them to my fiancee's family tree.
siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Post by siskojnash »

How does one go about contacting a doctor without interfering with his job, anyway? Would he have an e-mail where I would be able to contact him?