Ancestors - Genealogy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
acamma
Rookie
Rookie

Ancestors - Genealogy

Post by acamma »

As a newcomer to your website I am seeking information the following ancestrial families who are primarily from the Messina and Capri Leone communities in Sicily. My grandfather was Anthony Camma and left in the early 1900's for America. He returned for a visit in the late 60's to visit distant relatives in Capri Leone (no other member of his family has ever returned to that part of Italy. My grandmother's family came to America before her birth in 1901 and from my information no one ever went back to visit. Tha family's name was LaSpada (her father's name was Filippo). They were from Messina. Her mother's name was Lillian Sturniolo also from Messina. Other names in the family were Giaquinta (from Capri Leone), Tortorici (Capri Leone), Ipsaro (Capri Leone), and Candeloro (Messina). If anyone has any records of these families please let me know. Also are there any Church or government agency contacts to obtain vital dates/burial sites etc for these families. I am sorry I am not conversant in Italian so I am depending on you to unfortunately use my native language. That is a problem for those of us Americans of the second generation whose parents never went back to ancestrial homes or gave us backing in the language of their parents. Thank you for any assistance.
Anthony Philip Camma
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: Ancestors - Genealogy

Post by ptimber »

These records are avilable on microfilm at the family history library of the Mormomn church nearest your home. In Italy all records are in the city, town or village of origin and no where else save for the provincial capitals. So when you say Messina and people are born in the surrounding province in some small town or village you have to go to that town or that village. Please get back with the specifics of the town and the people you are researching. Peter
acamma
Rookie
Rookie

Post by acamma »

The major search is for Camma in Capri Leone

Grandfather Anthony Camma born there in 1894 came to US when he was 7 or 8 with his parents and brothers.

His father Francesco Camma born in Capri Leone Possibly born in 1857(question if he died in route to US and was sent back to Sicily or not based on some recent discussions with my aunts)
His mother was Serafina Tortorici born 1865 in Capri Leone died in US.

Francesco Camma's parents were Mario Camma and Nunzia Giaquinta of Capri Leone (no dates or birth/death Nunzia possibly born 1822 on one notation).

Mario Camma's parents were Filippo Camma and Rosa Cottone of Capri Leone (no dates on births or deaths).

Nunzia Giaquinta's parents were Antonio Giaquinta and Marinanna Carbona of Capri Leone (no dates on births or deaths).

Antonio Giaquinta's parents were Gaetano Giaguinta and Antonia (no maden name known) Giaquinta of Capri Leone (no dates for births or deaths).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anthony Camma's mother Serafina's parents were Ignazio Tortorici and Rosa Ipsaro of Capri Leone (Rosa born 1820 no other dates for births or deaths.

I'm not sure if this is what was wanted in previous question, please excuse me if I erred.

Grandmothers info on next posting to try and keep these shorter.
Anthony Philip Camma
acamma
Rookie
Rookie

Post by acamma »

Rose LaSpada Camma was born in Boston, Mass (1901) to recent immigrants of the time Filippo LaSpada (1878 in Messina) he died in US 1958 and Lillian Sturniolo (born 1881 in Messina) died in US 1949.

Filippo LaSpada's parents were Filippo LaSpada (no dates on birth or death) of Messina and Rosa (no maden name or dates on birth or death) LaSpada.

Lillian Sturniolo's parents were Domenico Sturniolo (born 1848 died 1920) of Messina and Concetta Candeloro (born 1856 died 1934) of Messina. Both of them died in US.

Concetta Candeloro's parents were Gueseppi Candeloro (no birth date but died 1890) of Messina and Domenica (no maden name or dates of birth) Candeloro of Messina.
Anthony Philip Camma
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Genealogy is worked backward from the present to the past. There is mucgh that can be written but since you do not indicate what your knowledge base consist of in researching your family genealogy I suggest you buy/borrow the book Italian genealogical records by Trafford R. Cole which is an easy read and affor dyouthe opportunity to conduct your own research. Peter
acamma
Rookie
Rookie

Post by acamma »

The current information I have is from family records and also a very distant cousin in the United States who was also tracing their family roots and sent us information for the connecting parts of our family tree. Really on this side of my family the only thing I have added through my research is of other distant cousins in the US through the basic US public records. I have not been able to really crack into the Sicilian roots to obtain dates or linkages that might show current ties to any descendents of my ancestors still there in Italy.

Since the non-Italian side of my family had no one researching it since my grandmother gave me data as a child I have come up with a little more connections there on my own since I had no family interested in past history or knowledgeable of their ancestors as my Italian family still are. The only problem I have with my mothers side of the family is I find nothing like this resouce tool to get ideas from for the German and French side of my mother's ancestors. If you are aware of a web site like this for those countries I would appreciate that.

I will pick up a copy of the book you suggested thank you for that resource material.
Anthony Philip Camma
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

If you go to the Family History Library catalogue of the Mormon church website and seek out the city, town or village where an event occurred that you wish to pursue and the country it may very weellprovide you with locations and titles to records of those events of interest to you. Peter
acamma
Rookie
Rookie

Post by acamma »

Peter:

Thank you Peter, I have tried to use the Mormon site but really have not had luck for two reason. My Italian side probably are not Mormon material if they are like any of that side I have ever met. The other side of my family might be there but when you have common names that even cross country boudaries like Conrad, List, Jung, Benken, and Ferry it is a pain to figure out any potential connections because I don't have any real handle on good dates or the worst sibling records for each generation that might give me a leg up. The benefit of my Camma and LaSpada roots is the names are no where else in the world than the US/Italy and there are definitly few of us (I think- watch this site prove me wrong and I somehow find a wealth of family sitting in Italy somewhere that would be great when I contend with one of my best friends who if I go with her to England can show me grave sites from the 1500's for her ancestors, list MP members and military officers in the British service, and then pull up to a 6th cousin 5th removed and carry on a conversation on family. Her comment to me was that the English were the better record keepers than the Italians - mine to her always has been we don't need the records we are special by being Italian.
Anthony Philip Camma
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

The english kept records because the 10th Roman legion taught them to read and write and not paint their bellies blue! The traiditon continued until the Italian roman cathiolic church got there and started keeping records in the local churches and monasteries and by that time all the foreign invasions were over and the church was always looked after by the local lord who no doubt provided the sheep skin for parchment sincre paper making was not avilable in england in great quantities and thus were better preserved than in Itraly where everyone came, pillaged, raped ,plundered and became cultured!!!!!!!!!! Peter