Italian meals!

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
AmyT
Veteran
Veteran

Italian meals!

Post by AmyT »

Pasta Puttanesca is my favorite!!

My friend Megan makes this for me all the time and tells me that 'ladies of the night' used to make this for their 'John's'. I was wondering, is there any truth to that? It's an awesome easy dish either way.
Image 'If you never open doors to let anyone in, no one can get in, but neither can you get out.'
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: Italian meals!

Post by ptimber »

It's name means something made quick so she can fornicate asap. Peter
AmyT
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AmyT »

Thats hilarious. Its a great dish. I like 'easy' meals I guess.
Image 'If you never open doors to let anyone in, no one can get in, but neither can you get out.'
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

Is it just me or has Puttanesca gained even great popularity of late in the US. I grew up in a very Italian household, with very traditional southern Italian cooking, yet I had never heard of it before. Seems like these days its on the TV , in the movies , and all over our Grocery Shelves. I wonder why?

Jim
AmyT
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AmyT »

NO idea!! I have had it a lot recently, but had never heard of it before about 5 years ago. I have a lot of friends who travel a lot and are Italian though. I just figured it was always popular.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

It always was a popular quick fix dinner for people on the run and can be altered with "stuff". It has always been around but now is popular because people are more lazy and rely on prepared foodstuffs and have no knowledge of the culinary arts...in effect being what the plate suggests ....lazy whores. Peter
AmyT
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AmyT »

:lol: OMG... I'm cracking up...

While I must protest that I am not a whore, nor have I ever been easy, I am lazy about certain things, and sometimes dinner is one of them.. :lol:
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

see you give proof to the old adage americanasfacciata!! Peter
AmyT
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AmyT »

:P

I make up for it in other ways!
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Oh my!!!! Peter
AmyT
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AmyT »

I live to amuse. :wink:

AND I proclaim/maintain that it is still a fabulous meal!
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Can I come and grate the cheese? peter
AmyT
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AmyT »

Yes please do, I obviously have no knack for it! :lol:

I made stuffed shells last night. I also made my own sauce to bake over them! It was definitely a hit, but I don't think of stuffed shells as a very 'Italian' meal.

I love new recipies, but as I am a limited chef, I may need extra direction should someone ever so kindly post a tasty dish.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

stuffed shells is a meal and since you are an artist of sorts use olive oil and garlic and steam vegetable with them, make sauce, cook pease, lentils and beans with them and VIOLA! your cooking. Always sautee and never burn anything. Peter
AmyT
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AmyT »

See I knew I forgot something!

I made a spinach salad instead with dried cranberries and feta cheese.. There I go again being lazy with cooking.. :lol: (we really need new emoticons there are great ones at my other site that would have been much more appropriate for my self effacing humor)