NYC Embassy - Paperwork needed (dealing with 3 countries)

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
vanessa1105

NYC Embassy - Paperwork needed (dealing with 3 countries)

Post by vanessa1105 »

Hi everybody,

I posted my original case last year, but never really got around to doing much. Now I am living in NYC, and will be doing it here - I already have an appointment next year but I wanted to get your help to make sure I have all of the paperwork.

My case is a little more confusing - my GGF was born in Italy - he moved to Peru - my grandmother was born. My GGF then moved to the states. My grandmother had my father in Peru after 1948, and I was born in Peru too. All of us now live in the United States.

From the Italian Consulate website this is what it tells me to get:

If category 5 applies to you, the following documents are required:
- FORM 1
- YOUR PATERNAL OR MATERNAL GREAT GRANDPARENTS’ BIRTH CERTIFICATE (from Italy)
- YOUR PATERNAL OR MATERNAL GREAT GRANDPARENTS' MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE
- YOUR PATERNAL OR MATERNAL GREAT GRANDFATHERS’ CERTIFICATE OF
NATURALIZATION AND PETITION FOR NATURALIZATION
- YOUR PATERNAL/MATERNAL GRANDPARENTS’ BIRTH CERTIFICATE
- YOUR PATERNAL/MATERNAL GRANDPARENTS' MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE
- YOUR PATERNAL/MATERNAL PARENTS’ BIRTH CERTIFICATE
- YOUR PATERNAL/MATERNAL PARENTS' MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE
- YOUR BIRTH CERTIFICATE
- YOUR DECLARATION THAT YOU NEVER RENOUNCED ITALIAN CITIZENSHIP BEFORE
ANY ITALIAN AUTHORITY, listing all your places of residence and relative years. Your signature must be notarized. Copy of your passport and proof of residence (driver licence and utility bills ect.) are requested. Use FORM 2
- DECLARATION THAT YOUR PATERNAL/MATERNAL GRANDPARENTS NEVER RENOUNCED ITALIAN CITIZENSHIP BEFORE ANY ITALIAN AUTHORITY, listing all places of residence and relative years. If living use FORM 3, if deceased use FORM 4
- DECLARATION THAT YOUR FATHER/MOTHER NEVER RENOUNCED ITALIAN CITIZENSHIP BEFORE ANY ITALIAN AUTHORITY, listing all places of residence and relative years.
If living use FORM 3, if deceased use FORM 4
- ANY PERTINENT DEATH CERTIFICATE/S RELATED TO THE ITALIAN ASCENDANTS.
If your great grandfather became a naturalized U.S. citizen before your grandfather or grandmother’s birth, you are not eligible for Italian citizenship.

However, because I have to deal with Peru. I had been advised to do the following:

Get GGF's BC (from Italy)
Get GGF's Death Certificate (from New York)
Get GGF's Naturalization in the USA (from New York - became citizen in 1946)
Get GGF's No Record from Peru (saying he never became a Peruvian citizen)
(He never married my great grand mother)

Get GM's BC (Peru)
Get GM's MC (Peru)
Get GM's Naturalization in the USA

Get GF's BC (Peru)
Get GF's MC (Peru)

Get Father's BC (Peru)
Get Father's MC (Peru)
Get Father's Divorce (USA)
(he has not become an American citizen)

Get Mother's BC (Peru)
Get Mother's (MC to father - Peru)
Get Mother's (divorce to father - USA)

My Birth Certificate (Peru)
My Naturalization 2004 (USA)

I am getting all the original paperwork from Peru and getting it certified in the Italian consulate in Peru and then all the necessary paperwork here in the states.

Because I am dealing with 3 countries, I am planning on getting everything translated to just be on the safe side.

Can anyone please advise any form or anything that I may be missing/or how the experience is in New York?

I'm going to request the death certificate this week and possibly even the naturalization form (or attempt to).
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: NYC Embassy - Paperwork needed (dealing with 3 countries

Post by johnnyonthespot »

The only thought I have at the moment is that you will need to have all of the Peruvian documents apostilled by the relevant Peruvian authority.

Also, I believe all of the Peruvian documents will need to be in English; those that are not must be translated either into English or (preferably) Italian. This applies even to those documents which would not normally require translation - the problem being that the consular officials who will be reviewing your case and documents are not expected to read anything other than Italian and English.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
vanessa1105

Re: NYC Embassy - Paperwork needed (dealing with 3 countries

Post by vanessa1105 »

Yes, I am planning on getting all of that paperwork. Somebody from either this forum or another one gave me some great information as they were dealing with Peruvian/UK and Italy and they gave me all the relevant information about how to go about getting the paperwork in Peru. Pretty much I have to get them in Peru and then go to the Italian Embassy and get them apostilled and translated there.

To be on the safe side, like I mentioned, I am planning on getting everything translated to Italian.