Looking for help on GM and GF - Nochesde/Restani

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
terrimusto
Rookie
Rookie

Looking for help on GM and GF - Nochesde/Restani

Post by terrimusto »

I'm am having a great deal of difficulty locating specific information about my grandmother, Genoveffa/Genieve/Jenny maiden name may be Nochese though on my mother's birth certificate it is written Nachasi. From Ancestry.com census data, I know her birth year is about 1888 and she was born in Prezzano - Province of Salerno. She arrived @ 1904 but I cannot locate any arrival information for her either at Ancestry or directly at Ellis Island. Her date of naturalization is @ 1911. My grandfather, Risieri Restani, name changed to Arturo then Arthur was born in 1880/1 in Mantua - Province of Lombardia. His arrival date is 1904 and I have his Ellis Island information.

Thank you in advance for any help that may be offered.

Terri
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Looking for help on GM and GF - Nochesde/Restani

Post by maestra36 »

I cannot find any town in Salerno Province called Prezzano. The closest towns in spelling are as follows:
81050 CAM CE Presenzano
24030 LOM BG Presezzo
37040 VEN VR Pressana
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

http://en.comuni-italiani.it/065/

at this website, you can see a list of towns in Salerno Province

In Salerno Province, there is currently a surname spelled Noschese
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

First Name: Genoveffa
Last Name: Noschese
Ethnicity: Italian, South
Last Place of Residence: Monte C... Pugliano, Salerno
Date of Arrival: Oct 29, 1908
Age at Arrival: 12y Gender: F Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Konigin Luise
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0012

I found the above on Ellis Island. I realize that this person is a little younger than the ancestor for which you are searching. This one was born in 1896 and not in 1888.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

terrimusto wrote:I'm am having a great deal of difficulty locating specific information about my grandmother, Genoveffa/Genieve/Jenny maiden name may be Nochese though on my mother's birth certificate it is written Nachasi...
Hi Terri, is there any chance her name was Eugenia (Noschese)?
Thank you, Valarie

(Hi Peg! :D )
terrimusto
Rookie
Rookie

Post by terrimusto »

No, that much I am sure of but thank you anyway

vj wrote:
terrimusto wrote:I'm am having a great deal of difficulty locating specific information about my grandmother, Genoveffa/Genieve/Jenny maiden name may be Nochese though on my mother's birth certificate it is written Nachasi...
Hi Terri, is there any chance her name was Eugenia (Noschese)?
Thank you, Valarie

(Hi Peg! :D )
terrimusto
Rookie
Rookie

Post by terrimusto »

We're talking about ancient memories here. Not really sure at all, I'm afraid, which is why I'm trying to get to the arrival information. Thanks anyway.
maestra36 wrote:I cannot find any town in Salerno Province called Prezzano. The closest towns in spelling are as follows:
81050 CAM CE Presenzano
24030 LOM BG Presezzo
37040 VEN VR Pressana
terrimusto
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Looking for help on GM and GF - Nochese/Restani

Post by terrimusto »

This is the most interesting thing I've seen so far. The sad thing is there is no one left who can confirm or deny, as they say. I will look at the manifest and see for myself. Thank you so much for this lead. Just thought, though, the age must be off as my grandmother got married in 1911 and 15 is maybe a little young. But thank you anyway!!! Need to see who she was going to live with and see if that makes any sense.

T
maestra36 wrote:First Name: Genoveffa

I found the above on Ellis Island. I realize that this person is a little younger than the ancestor for which you are searching. This one was born in 1896 and not in 1888.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Terri,
Tried this site for a newspaper article that may have had another version of your grandmother's surname, but without success. There are some neat articles on your family including a very early one for your grandfather in an Italian language newspaper.
Valarie

http://www.fultonhistory.com/Fulton.html
terrimusto
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Looking for help on GM and GF - Nochese/Restani

Post by terrimusto »

Unfortunately, this particular record does not show up in Ancestry, though my grandfather's Ellis Island record does show up there. Also, I've a picture of the headstone on her grave that clearly says birth date 1888. If that date holds, she would have been 20 arriving in 1908. Ah, the vagaries of this research. Thanks again for your help.

T
terrimusto wrote:This is the most interesting thing I've seen so far. The sad thing is there is no one left who can confirm or deny, as they say. I will look at the manifest and see for myself. Thank you so much for this lead. Just thought, though, the age must be off as my grandmother got married in 1911 and 15 is maybe a little young. But thank you anyway!!! Need to see who she was going to live with and see if that makes any sense.

T
maestra36 wrote:First Name: Genoveffa

maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

The original manifest comes up on pages 124 and 125 on Ellis Island.
terrimusto
Rookie
Rookie

Post by terrimusto »

Valerie,

Do I need to join this forum to see what you found? I went there and am "so confused". thanks.

Terri
vj wrote:Terri,
Tried this site for a newspaper article that may have had another version of your grandmother's surname, but without success. There are some neat articles on your family including a very early one for your grandfather in an Italian language newspaper.
Valarie

http://www.fultonhistory.com/Fulton.html
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

As to birth years that appear on tombstones, they are not always correct. My great grandparents born in 1849 and 1856 are listed on their tombstone as being born in 1870. By 1873 they were married and had their first child in 1874. Their youngest child, born in 1900 and buried with them, is the one who gave the incorrect information to the person who engraved the names and dates on the tombstone.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Terri,
The site is free
The search box on the upper left side gets some getting used to- it also takes some time for the pages to load
I searched using 'Restani Syracuse' you should have better luck since you have more first names you can use to search
Please let me know if you get stuck
Valarie

Here's the article in Italian
Syracuse NY L'UNIONE (Italian Newspaper) 1908 - 1909
http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/3116/image0002.jpg
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

by the way, my grandparents starting courting when she was 14 and he was 23. By 16 she was married and by 17 had had her first child. Getting married at age 15 may seem young by today's standards, but in the early 1900s, I don't think so.