Strange records!

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
lilbees
Master
Master

Strange records!

Post by lilbees »

I was going through an index for marriage records and came across another marriage for Liberata Brancaccio.

Her first marriage was in 1877 to Alfonso Rescigno
Her second marriage took place in 1882 and the record does not indicate a second marriage.

What is strange, Alfonso did not leave for the U.S. until 1890. Did they just walk away from a marriage? Last child born and died in 1880.

http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/qq32 ... ge1877.jpg

http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/qq32 ... ge1882.jpg

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Strange records!

Post by maestra36 »

I'm still looking at the records, but the 1882 record labels her a widow.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Yet, where it lists the documents presented in the handwritten portion at the bottom of the record, it only mentions the marriage publications and doesn't mention anything about a death record for a former spouse.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

the word vedova for widow appears right about Liberata's first and last name
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

I forgot to add her death record listing only Alfonso.

http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/qq32 ... th1896.jpg

I missed the widow part on that marriage record. Is that right after her name?

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

the word vedova for widow is right after her first and last name on the 1882 record
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Did I miss something on Liberata's death record?

lilbees

Could you spell out the new husband's name for me?
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

The death record says she was the widow of Alfonso and the wife of Andrea.
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Ahhhh! Missed that as well. I think I need better glasses.

Thank you so much maestra36 for that.

lilbees
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Happy to help.
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

You know, it is really strange. I show him coming to the U.S. in 1890 and in 1900 staying with his nephew Gennaro. He ended up in an institution in Connecticutt through at least 1920. I am waiting for a death record for Alphonso to be absolutely sure it is him.

I guess I will also write to Castellammare di Stabia to see if they can locate a death record for him. I had written for a record for one of his brothers and am waiting for that. I don't think it would be too hard to search 1880 and 1881 to find one for him if it is there. They are doing a search for 1900-1915 for Giuseppe.

Well, here is hoping.

lilbees
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I think you will have better luck getting the town to search within a two year period than getting it to search within a 15 year range. In the past, I've only had luck when I could narrow the date within a five year period.

Anyway, your finding this supposed deceased individual on a passenger is definitely strange. I have a feeling the person you found on the manifest is not the same person, and that getting the death record from the town will confirm that. This does remind me of a situation a cousin and I encountered some years ago. He had an ancestor who was born and died in our one ancestral town, and then a brother of this deceased individual appeared on a manifest under the name of the deceased brother. He entered the U.S. with the brother's name rather than his own, but then the rest of his documents in the U.S. had his correct first name. We never figured out how he got away with doing this or his reason for doing so.