Mag. before a name.

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ajcris13
Rookie
Rookie

Mag. before a name.

Post by ajcris13 »

Does anyone know the meaning of Mag. before a name?

Thanks

Artie
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Mag. before a name.

Post by johnnyonthespot »

What type of record is this?

Are you certain the last letter is a "g' ?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

From Catholic Encyclopedia
Abbreviations in Ecclesiastical records...

Mag. — Magister ("Master")

Website link:

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01022a.htm

T.
ajcris13
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ajcris13 »

The name appears in a book: Mag. Girolamo Leggio e Capitano de Sciacca.
ajcris13
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ajcris13 »

Yes, that appears to be it.

Thanks T. and Carmine
apiapibij

Post by apiapibij »

Mag. is usually magister yes, but I also encountered it in the meaning of "magnifico", what seems to be an indication that the person is somewhat higher in rank than the medium.
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

In this case, having near a "capitano" too, the word is "maggiore" (I think in english can be translated as major general).
L.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Lucap wrote:In this case, having near a "capitano" too, the word is "maggiore" (I think in english can be translated as major general).
L.
So, to be clear, the phrase is speaking of two people, Major General Girolamo Leggio AND Captain (no first name) de Sciacca?

Or, did the original poster leave out the accent on the è making the phrase Major General Girolamo Leggio IS Captain of (the forces of) Sciacca (a large comune in the province of Agrigento)?

e = and
è = is

Correct?

PS: On a curious note, the Italian telephone directory lists 1,661 Sciacca's spread throughout Italy, only one (!) of whom is actually in Comune di Sciacca - out of nearly 41,000 population. 8O
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Good observation Carmine :-D

And I love your "curiosities" ;-)

T.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Tessa78 wrote:Good observation Carmine :-D

And I love your "curiosities" ;-)

T.
As a child, my mother used to constantly remind me that I'd better be careful because, after all, "Curiosity killed the cat."
Carmine

ajcris13
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ajcris13 »

Here is the complete text:

Leggio - Un Mag. Girolamo è Capitano de Sciacca, e fu fatto uccidere da Don Giacomo Perolloa arbitro della citta tra il 1520-29 autore del famoso Trezo Caso di Sciacca (La Lumia I.- Studi di Storia Siciliana – II- 228). Forse da lui poterono discendere i Leggio di Ragusa, che naturale cosa è, avessero abbandonata a terra dove tanto barbaramente era stato finito l'anzidetto, non esclusa la supposizione che costui avesse potuto essere di Ragusa, dacchè, su per giù, intorno quell' epoca sonovi in paese dei Leggio in nobile stato. Um martino stende testamento 5 Febbraio 1534 Not. Franceso Riggio, e può dirsi il progenitore dei Leggio di Ragusa. Suo fretello Vincenzo sposa D. Anna Gurrieri del Mag. Paolo, intorno al 1540-50
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

ajcris13 wrote:Here is the complete text:
Way beyond my skills... :D

I suggest you re-post this paragraph in the "Italian language, handwriting, script & translations" at the bottom of the home page where you will probably find a faster response.
Carmine

ajcris13
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ajcris13 »

OK, will do.

Thanks

Carmine
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

It's always better not retype the text but to scan it (to avoid further mistakes). However, Carmine observation seems to be right; from the context it results to be "il magnifico (honorific title) Girolamo Leggio è (at that time, about 1520) capitano di Sciacca" (a town in Sicily: this is an overview of Sciacca ten days ago :wink: [img=http://s3.postimage.org/2GafA.jpg] ).
L.