Givigliano surname

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Givigliano

Givigliano surname

Post by Givigliano »

I am looking for a Fortunata Givigliano who was living in Grimaldi, Cosenza, Italy from at least 1859 (gave birth to a son in Grimaldi) to her death. Son came to Colorado and raised his family. I don't know her parents, but I do think she was born in 1827, but I don't know where. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Givigliano surname

Post by PeterTimber »

Is Givigliano her maiden name? =Peter=
~Peter~
Givigliano

Post by Givigliano »

Yes--and she was not married when she gave birth to her son--I don't believe she ever married. I think that may be why she moved from her place of birth, but I could be wrong about that.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I believe Fortunata Gimigliano (corrected to read Givigliano on the manifest) born 1890 arrived in NYC on the Mendoza on June 1, 1911 and held over for possible LPC (public charge) but released and admitted into the USA on June 3, 1911. Am I correct? =Peter=
~Peter~
Givigliano

Post by Givigliano »

No, I'm sorry, that's not the same person. As far as I know, my Fortunata Givigliano never came to the US. She died in Grimaldi. I have the record of her son's birth, Francesco, in 1859 in Grimaldi. I also have lots of letters from Fortunata to her son Francesco here in Colorado. Thanks, but that's not the right lady.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

perhaps she was born in grimaldi? You can ask for a birth record by requesting a birth record (long form=Estratto di Nascita which has parents names and dates ofbirth)) for her son francesco.

http://www.angelfire.com/pok3/parlsofwi ... tters.html

www.tuttitalia.it/calabria/91-grimaldi and scroll down to MUNICIPIO address for the Uffico di Stato Civile to send form letters.

=Peter=
~Peter~
Joannsalvo
Elite
Elite

Post by Joannsalvo »

Have you tried this site:
It is free to register.

http://88.59.143.158/ascs_web/index.faces

There was one Fortunata but try different spellings.
Givigliano

Post by Givigliano »

Peter,
I all ready have a copy of the birth register--it states Francesco was born in Grimaldi Mar 29, 1859 to Fortunata Givigliano and an unknown father. He was baptized the next day--I have that record too. I just cannot find any other info on Fortunata. The record does list her as a seamstress living in Grimaldi.
Givigliano

Post by Givigliano »

Joann,
Thanks for the website!! I've found a Givigliano couple--Francesco Givigliano and Petronilla Aiello that may be her parents--just based on the time frame, not that I could find Fortunata's birth--not sure where to go from here, though. This other couple had several other children as well. Any ideas how to find out if Fortunata is their daughter?
Joannsalvo
Elite
Elite

Post by Joannsalvo »

Could it be:
Gimigliano
Givigliano

Post by Givigliano »

I guess it could be. What I have is this: birth and baptismal records for Fortunata's son, Francesco, list her last name as Gimigliano. Francesco's marriage record lists his last name as Gimigliano. Francesco's enlistment papers shows him as Francesco Givigliano--all his papers here in the US show him as Givigliano (the family today still uses this spelling also). All of the handwritten letters I have from Fortunata to Francesco after he arrived in the US have her signature as Fortunata Givigliano. That is basically all I know. At the time of Francesco's birth in 1859, Fortunata was a 28 year old seamstress. Any ideas?
Joannsalvo
Elite
Elite

Post by Joannsalvo »

Did you dheck the website again for :
Gimigliano
Givigliano

Post by Givigliano »

Yes
Joannsalvo
Elite
Elite

Post by Joannsalvo »

Have you tried your local Family History Center?
There are records for Grimaldi, Cosenza.

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... ++di++Grim++

Is this how you obtained Francesco's birth record?
Givigliano

Post by Givigliano »

No