Correct Pronunciation.....

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
varney

Re: Correct Pronunciation.....

Post by varney »

I apologise for expressing such a lowly opinion. My Italian background clearly counts for nothing.

I trust that you are not a typical inhabitant of New York, as it might prejudice the high regard I have for the many New Yorkers I have had the privilege to meet. Do you realise how much damage is being caused to our world by a small number "know all" Americans. Do you realise how much damage such people cause to the good name of your compatriots?

England is a wonderful, cosmopolitan country, like your own, and we celebrate our cultural diversity. There is no shortage of inhabitants of this country who speak several languages, amongst them Italian. Like you, some even speak English.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Port wine gives me gas too. Peter
AmyT
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AmyT »

Don't take him too seriously, he is mostly harmless! :wink:

I love a british accent, and have been known to crush on quite a few brits just because I loved listening to them.
Image 'If you never open doors to let anyone in, no one can get in, but neither can you get out.'
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Maybe he can tell me how do you know when you're out of invisible ink??? peter
DeliBoy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DeliBoy »

Dear assorted AD HOMINEMS Italian is pronounced as it is written in most cases and biondi is biondi and all the pronunciations emanating from orfiices to date mine included are correct. If all of you wish to do the dance of the 7 veils be my guest. The hardiness of the butter is proportional to the softness of the bread. Peter
Yes, but Wldspirit asked for the pronunciation of Bionde not Biondi.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

You should be ashamed of yourself not knowing that she can't spell an italian word correctly;she being an american girl whose knowledge of Italian is limited and thus would write BiondI with the american letter E sicne it has an EEEEEEEEEEEEE sound and in italian that sound is IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII. I bet you can'te when you're out of invisible ink too. Peter
DeliBoy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DeliBoy »

I gave the correct pronunciation for the word given. Wldspirit was quite clear that she had been given the name in written form. If she were writing down a word she had heard, then she would not have asked how to pronounce it.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

....and what makes you think her source was not some sort of illuminary like you???????? Peter
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

I wrote the word as it was written, with an e.

However, Peter could be right, perhaps it was a mispelling.

Either way, I have pronunciations for both, and I thank you all........

wldspirit
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

give that girl a raise!!!!!!!!!!!! peter
DeliBoy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DeliBoy »

Peter,

It is perfectly possible the word has been misspelled somewhere along the line, but if the voices in your head tell you to change the question, don’t you think you should tell us what the new question is before answering it? How else do you expect the two to tie up?

As your reply stood, you gave the wrong pronunciation for a perfectly normal and valid word. Had it not been for the intervention of Varney and me, you would have perpetuated Wldspirit’s supposed misconception that E is pronounced I.

Don’t you think you owe Varney an apology? After all, how was he/she to know that agreeing with me was such a crime?

Wldspirit,

I admire your diplomacy.
AmyT
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AmyT »

For myself, I think Wldspirit has more sense than to just agree one way or another and was smart to take both as possibilities.
Image 'If you never open doors to let anyone in, no one can get in, but neither can you get out.'
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

ptimber wrote:You should be ashamed of yourself not knowing that she can't spell an italian word correctly;she being an american girl whose knowledge of Italian is limited and thus would write BiondI with the american letter E sicne it has an EEEEEEEEEEEEE sound and in italian that sound is IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII. I bet you can'te when you're out of invisible ink too. Peter
http://www.cinefile.biz/blonde.htm

BIONDE=BLONDE (her grandfather was nicknamed "Blondie")

BIONDE is a word in Italian u self absorbed man, try one of your ever famous Google searches. And stop trying to "read between the lines" when you reply to a post, because you are never on the mark. You post something, which is more often than not faulty, and when called on it, explode into a tirade. Stop trying to raise your post count and start actually giving some worthwhile advice/information. (Which it is becoming clearer to me may not be possible beyond a remedial level)
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Dear AH BIONDI is the plural of the word BIONDO meaning Fair and biondino is fair haired child. The plural of the word is biondi. The word is MASCULINE. This is from the Italian word dictionary. Sio before you go off into the wild blue yonder with the remaining crybaby whiny-butt people associated with yiour ilk, consult an authority instead of the tabloids of italian cinematography. Peter
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

ptimber wrote:Dear AH BIONDI is the plural of the word BIONDO meaning Fair and biondino is fair haired child. The plural of the word is biondi. The word is MASCULINE. This is from the Italian word dictionary. Sio before you go off into the wild blue yonder with the remaining crybaby whiny-butt people associated with yiour ilk, consult an authority instead of the tabloids of italian cinematography. Peter
*sigh* My god you keep missing the point, as usual. She did not ask you for the pronunciation of Biondi, a word meaning fair haired. She asked you for the pronunciation of Bionde (WHICH is also a noun used (by Italians)to describe a Blond person). Such as Blondie or Shorty, or Fatty, and I could go on. You went beyond what she asked (which is usually what you criticize others for) and chose to substitute BIONDI for BIONDE when both EXIST in the Italian vocabulary. Her family would not have said BIONDI, they would have said BIONDE, and given that I do not understand why on earth she would want to hear how the former is spoken.