Marriage record for Gaetano Fiumara

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Marriage record for Gaetano Fiumara

Post by maestra36 »

T
If one of the spouses is minor and both parents are deceased, there would be a family council meeting consisting of family members such as a grandfather, if alive, uncles, cousins and, if no family members, then there would be close friends of the family. The members of this council would convene to discuss the merits and shortcomings of the prospective spouse and then give their consent to the marriage.
Peg
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I found the following in another Castellammare marriage record online and believe that this is the phrase we've been trying to decipher:

"privo anche di Avo ed Ava"

Something to do with the grandparents of the groom. I think they were the ones who gave consent for the groom to marry, since his parents were deceased, and he was a minor.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I'm actually seeing that phrase in a lot of records from that town online, even when only one parent of a spouse is deceased. It's definitely the correct phrase that is in the record.
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

maestra36 wrote:"privo anche di Avo ed Ava"
Not a wrong idea: maybe this is the correct sentence.
L.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Luca
I know the above is the correct statement, as the handwriting in the other records, for the same town, for the same period in time, is very clear. I am just not 100% sure about the translation of the phrase.

Peg
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

avo
s.m.
1. grandfather
2. pl. ancestors, forefathers, forebears.

So I guess it means he also had no grandfather or grandmother. :-(

T.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

You may be correct in your understanding of the phrase, T. At least we now have the script accurately deciphered. It was driving me crazy not to know what the words were, and then I got a brainstorm last night to see if any of the other early online records for the town had those same words in them, but written more clearly. I feel like I struck gold!
Peg
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Yes, Peg.

You certainly did, and we all benefit! :-)

T.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Maestra et al Privo is correct. My Privio spelling maybe incorrect since I conujugated the verb privare without substantiation. =Peter=
~Peter~
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

You all have been wonderful. I appreciate all your hard work in understanding this record.

Thank you very much.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa