Birth certificate Correction in NYC

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Drew927
Elite
Elite

Birth certificate Correction in NYC

Post by Drew927 »

Has any one had a birth certificate corrected in NYC?

I submitted in person a request for my fathers birth cert for correction. They took all the supporting documentation plus the $40.00 fee. They said "no problem, it will take 30 to 90 business days. It has been 95 business days and still nothing. I've made 3 calls and spoke with a rep who said that my inquiry will be sent to the Correction dept, still nothing.

Has anyone had a similar experience?
mler
Master
Master

Re: Birth certificate Correction in NYC

Post by mler »

It does take a while. I had my birth certificate amended several years ago. It took about four months.
Drew927
Elite
Elite

Post by Drew927 »

Thanks for your response Mler. I will continue to be patient as this is the last of my required documents.
Drew927
Elite
Elite

Post by Drew927 »

I recieved a call in response to my request for an update. The clerk left a message that nothing has been processed and that I should re-submit my request to correct my fathers birth certificate. When I was done screaming... I now have to get another copy of his Birth Cert because they took my original. Six months of waiting and I have to start all over again. UGH!!!
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Incredible! Your first request probably is in some black hole and will emergy a year from now. Their system is really messed up.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I would go down in person (if you can) and ask to speak with the Manager of the section or department to explain why you should get some preferential treatment..Bring along your Return signature Receipts to prove your point and your mailing which I hope you did use when sending in your request. =Peter=
~Peter~
Drew927
Elite
Elite

Post by Drew927 »

I did go to the D of H in person the first time. Unfortunatley they did not give me any reciepts for my request. But I will return in person once I recieve the birth certificate. I think I will make a visit to talk with someone while i'm waiting. This is killing me, it's the LAST document I need. My appointment is for March 2011. Worst case' I will just show the consulate what i have and see what they say.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

adopt a I have been ABUSED attitude with them and use the word. =Peter=
~Peter~
JavaisLife
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JavaisLife »

Hi -

I live in Manhattan, I often go down in person to follow up about my documents.

I was told over the phone (after my 90 days), that they "lost my documents" - I went down to the corrections division and personally showed them my Italian rage. Saint Anthony must have pulled my documents out of their arses, for they were suddenly "found". It was Divine Intervention. Obviously.

I will be going downtown tomorrow to get some documents notarized. I'm more than happy to stop over to the corrections office (it's around the corner) and talk to someone on your behalf. Nothing gets done, unless you do it in person.

Before you fret about missing documents, I'd show up there first. This isn't the first time I've been told something went MIA.

However - good practice: get 2 or 3 copies of each of your documents. That's what I do. Costs more, but saves my sanity.

- Marie
Drew927
Elite
Elite

Post by Drew927 »

Marie,
Thanks. i sent you a PM regarding my request for correction.
JavaisLife
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JavaisLife »

Hi Drew - sent you a response.

Good Luck!
M
Drew927
Elite
Elite

Post by Drew927 »

Well, I recieved a call from the NYC dept. of health and they suggested i return and re-submitt. Going down there today to meet with the person I spoke with on the phone. He said I can have it by next week if all my suppoting documents are in order. Wish me luck, It's the final piece!