sicilian name spelling changes upon US arrival

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ciacciomuschettofamily

sicilian name spelling changes upon US arrival

Post by ciacciomuschettofamily »

My family name is Muschetto. I see plenty on Muschetto's on Census and Ellis Island records. However, my family came in from Sicily directly to Louisiana. I see lots of Sicilian names on comune websites and wonder if they have been names were change when they arrived, for example, could any of the following names been mutated into Muschetto: Musciotto, Musciotti, Moscato, Moschetti, Moschetta, Moschetto. Also, for the name Ciaccio, could Ciccia be the same family name?
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: sicilian name spelling changes upon US arrival

Post by jcsm400 »

Maybe MUSCHETTO is also a mutation! Only located in three communities.

Distribution map link.

http://www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi/genera.html
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
kepi
Rookie
Rookie

Post by kepi »

[HEI i AM kEPI ITALY.
fOR EXAMPLE, MY GREAT GRANDFATHER'S NAME WAS GIUSEPPE, BUST IN ELLIS ISLAND DOCUMENT HIS NAME WAS WRITED GUISEPPE.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Here's a link to the telephone listings for the Muschetto's in Italy..only 3 listings as Joyce said. Play around with the other names on it if you like and see what happens.

http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... =&ind=&nc=

As for the Ciaccio's...there's 200 listings! Some have email...something to think about, maybe?

http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... =&ind=&nc=

Nuccia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
ciacciomuschettofamily

Post by ciacciomuschettofamily »

:lol: Thank you for the suggestions. Regarding Muschetto family, I have heard from the Moschetto family. They think that quite possibly Antonio Muschetto is Antonio Moschetto, born 8 Oct 1858 in Piana Die Greci, Palermo Sicily, Son or 4. Giovanni Moschetto and 5. Maria Schiro. He amrried on 30 Nov 1884 in Paina Dei Greci, Palermo, Sicily 3. Rosa Ranno, born 15 Aug 1869 in Paina Die Greci, Palermo,Sicily, daughter of 6. Guiseepe Ranno and 7. Odigitria Lota. The names correspond directly to my lineage with the only difference being the spelling of the last name Moschetto or Muschetto. Do you think I am on to something? Always appreciative of you assistance, Ciacciomuschettofamily
ChrisMuschetto

Post by ChrisMuschetto »

Hey I'm a Muschetto from Sacramento,Ca.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The base surname is MOSCA with Moschetta being one of a series of variants with Sicilian being used as a same base name but also spelled MUSCA and these Siclian alterations are MOSCHETTA, MOSCHINA/O MOSCONE. The MOSCA name with its series of variants are widely distributed thruout Italy.

These were all medieval nicknames, then first names and finally surnames. =Peter=
~Peter~
Toulouse21

Post by Toulouse21 »

Hello, My maiden name is Karen Muschetto. We have an annual family reunion every summer for Matranga-Muschetto family in Citrus Heights, CA. Call: Leora Matranga at (916) 813-2850. Thanks!