Liste di Leva?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
lilbees
Master
Master

Liste di Leva?

Post by lilbees »

I have my great uncle Giuseppe's Liste di Leva. There is a notation on page 2 that says he was excused from militry service because he was the last surviving male.

My problem is, there is no date for the notation. Can I write to find out when that was posted?

From what I can find, in trying to locate his death record and the record of his brother Alfonso, I know the last of his brothers died in 1912 (he died in Tunisia). Would the statement "last surving male" include that brother? Giuseppe's age in 1912 would be 67. I do know for sure he was alive in 1907 at the age of 62.

Is there an age limit on when they could be called up for military service? That would help me to understand the survivor notation or possibly when he died (he was deceased for sure by 1915 when his daughter died).

If it is possible to find out the date of the notation who would I write to?

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Liste di Leva?

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Can you upload the document?

I posted one here ( http://italiangenealogy.com/Forums/view ... rt=11.html ), my maternal grandfather is the entry in the middle of the page.

The date of the registry entry is in the fourth column from the right, April 24, 1907. One more column to the left there is his reason for not serving ("riformato " meaning unfit for service) followed by a date 17-4-1916 and what appears to be the word "recensente" - reviewed.

Overall, we take this to mean that he was entered into the registry on April 24, 1907 and declared unfit for health reasons. Later, in 1916, his case was reviewed; much too late since he had already been in the US for seven years at that point.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

I am also uploading Alfonso's liste di leva as well. It has something about Antonio serving in the military. He is near the bottom of the page

http://a.imageshack.us/img530/6556/alfonsopg1.jpg

http://a.imageshack.us/img530/8719/alfonsopg2.jpg

lilbees
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Hmmm... that's odd. Are any of the entries on that sheet dated? Maybe the clerk was just being lazy and only dated the first entry for each day; you (the archives) may have to go back one or more pages to find one that is dated.

Using your other document as an example, you would expect to see the date written in column 18 although it looks like the other guy liked having more room so he wrote it in column 17 instead.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

lilbees wrote:I am also uploading Alfonso's liste di leva as well. It has something about Antonio serving in the military. He is near the bottom of the page

http://a.imageshack.us/img530/6556/alfonsopg1.jpg

http://a.imageshack.us/img530/8719/alfonsopg2.jpg

lilbees
Looks like:

esentate per overe il fratello Antonio nel Corpo (something - frul__cia?) Marina

Exempted because his brother Antonio is serving in the Marine Corp?
Carmine

lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Will go back and check the entire set of sheets to see if I can find a date.

lilbees
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Well, went back and checked. They are all like the ones I posted. I also checked the Ruolo Matricolare dei militari listings 1877-1900. They are not the greatest on dates either except for the birth dates or classes. These are the listings for Castellammare di Stabia, Napoli (Browse Collections - Napoli Province Municipal Records, LDS Pilot Family Search).

But you know, even though one of my uncles took an exception that Antonio (my grandfathe) was in the military. I don't think so. Since he was born in 1846 I could see nothing to indicate he was serving. He married 1872 in Sicily, returned to Castellammare di Stabia w/wife, had a child there in 1874 and then returned to Sicily where the next child was born in 1875.

So, if Giuseppe made a declaration that he was the only surviving male I don't believe that would have included his brother Antonio.

What is the number "86 iunitto" mean? The only number on that sheet.

Looks like I can't find a date.

lilbees
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

These lists (in Sora at least) appear to have been compiled every year and are a list of the males of military age who have no yet entered the military.
Once the list is compiled the enlistment office goes through and contacts the eligible male who must show up and either be accepted or give a reason why he should not be. Only male in the household. Ill health. etc. Many young men got married so they wouldn't have to serve since they would be the only male in their household. I believe the notations on the list occurred the same year as the list was compiled.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Ahhh! The great mystery. :wink: On the cover sheet it is only listed as the Class year, no other date.

Giuseppe was married in 1867. Father died 1876, mother died 1886.

I guess this all will remain a mystery for me. Will just keep hunting for a death record for my other great uncle there while waiting to hear from Connecticutt.

Once again, thank you Maestra and Ann for the assistance. As always, very appreciated and a learning experience.

lilbees