Seeking GF birth record in NYC

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Seeking GF birth record in NYC

Post by KarenChristino »

I wanted to start a new post as this seems a different thread. We left off here:
http://www.italiangenealogy.com/Forums/ ... 17829.html

I’m still searching for my grandfather’s birth record in NYC. Municipal Archives says there’s no record. I requested his Social Security Application about a month ago as well as his military records from NARA last November (it takes a long time – they currently estimate they’ll get to it in October!). It sounds like these sources may possibly include a birth record. I also have two queries out at Churches. (The problem with that is it’s a bit of a fishing expedition and he was not at all religious; it would not be that much of a surprise if it turns out he was never baptized.)

He’s listed on the SS Death Index as Antonio Cristino, what I assume is the same as his birth record. (His WWI Draft Registration says Anthony Christian. We were very surprised to find it! My father was never even aware of him using such an Anglo sounding name and none of us ever have.) He was born 10/21/1896 according to SS, his death certificate, draft registration and my GGF’s naturalization papers. So I’m pretty sure that’s his birthday, but since my GGF mixed up some of the others’ birth dates including his own in his Petition, I can’t be absolutely certain. When I had the Italian microfilms I even checked that but he was not listed there, either. (He was supposedly born in Manhattan.)

I went back to some of the indexes and found an Antonio ChristiAno born in NYC on 7/23/1897 which I should probably check out. There is someone with the same name born 10/9/03 but I think that’s too late for him. I have addresses from City Directories for 1905 and 1910 and possible ones earlier, but I think I need to go to a library to check the Census records b/c it seems like the online searches only go by name.

I guess my ultimate question is: Does the Italian Consulate insist on some kind of actual birth record? I think I’ll probably have enough other documents to prove he’s my GGF’s son to NYS if I have to.

Karen
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Seeking GF birth record in NYC

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Given a specific address, it is possible to determine which enumeration district that address falls within and then to search the entire census for that district at sites like ancestry . com. That is how I found my paternal grandparents and their children in Hoboken, NJ and my maternal side in Harrison, NY.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by KarenChristino »

Thanks! I was able to access them on ancestry.com, but unfortunately they were not at the addresses I had for 1905 or other possibilities. I was able to rule out the Bronx address I had from the City Directory though -- different family. So at least it narrows it back to Manhattan.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Karen,
you can say us the Antonio parent's names?
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
VittorioE
Rookie
Rookie

Post by VittorioE »

Carmine. How do you fine the enumeration district through an address? I think that's fascinating.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

VittorioE wrote:Carmine. How do you fine the enumeration district through an address? I think that's fascinating.
Depending on the size of the town/city and the year you are searching, this site can help locate enumeration districts for the US Census: http://stevemorse.org/census/

Enumeration district borders often changed from one census to the next; if you have a 1920 census and want to know what the ED was for the same area in 1930 (or vice versa), see http://stevemorse.org/census/ed2040.php?year=1920

Lastly, visit http://stevemorse.org/ed/ed.php and select a year at the top of the page ("Finding ED Definitions for _____ in One Step"). Now, select a State and County from the dropdowns then click the Search button.

On the results page for 1930, for example,, you will find a few different types of listings. Using Westchester County, New York, ED 60-6 is shown as "LEAKE AND WATTS ORPHANAGE" and ED 60-42 is "CAPUCHIN MONASTERY ".

Most districts, however, are identified by their boundaries; the six districts encompassing the town of Harrison (I grew up there) are shown as:

ED 60-160 - HARRISON TOWN (PART) BOUNDED BY (N) TOWN LINE; (E) TOWN LINE, ROAD TO KING ST., PURCHASE; (S) ANDERSON HILL RD., TOWN LINE; (W) TOWN LINE; INCLUDES EAST WHITE PLAINS AND PURCHASE (PART) VILLAGES.

ED 60-161 - HARRISON TOWN (PART) BOUNDED BY (N) ROAD TO KING ST.; (E) TOWN LINE; (S) WESTCHESTER AVE.; (W) TOWN LINE, ANDERSON HILL RD., PURCHASE; INCLUDES PURCHASE VILLAGE (PART).

ED 60-162 - HARRISON TOWN (PART) BOUNDED BY (N) WESTCHESTER AVE.; (E) TOWN LINE; (S) WILLETS RD., CRAWFORD RD., UNION AVE., WEST, PURDY AVE.; (W) TOWN LINE.

ED 60-164 - HARRISON TOWN (PART) BOUNDED BY (N) PURDY AVE., WEST, UNION AVE.; (E) ELSWORTH AVE.; (S) RAILROAD TRACKS, TOWN LINE; (W) TOWN LINE; INCLUDES HARRISON VILLAGE (PART).

ED 60-165 - HARRISON TOWN (PART) BOUNDED BY (N) UNION AVE., CRAWFORD RD., WILLETS RD.; (E) TOWN LINE; (S) RAILROAD TRACKS; (W) ELSWORTH AVE.; INCLUDES HARRISON VILLAGE (PART).

ED 60-166 - HARRISON TOWN (PART) BOUNDED BY (N) RAILROAD TRACKS, TOWN LINE; (E) TOWN LINE; (S) TOWN LINE; (W) TOWN LINE; INCLUDES HARRISON VILLAGE (PART).

Using the information above and Google Maps, it is usally not too dificult to determine which ED a particular address falls within.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

suanj wrote:Karen,
you can say us the Antonio parent's names?
suanj
From the WW1 Draft registration card it seems that his father's name was Donato at the same address 261 Bridge Street - Brooklyn...

It's not helpful for your birth certificate research, but Karen, have you seen this newspaper article about Antonio?

http://www.fultonhistory.com/Newspaper% ... ehtml&.pdf
A Brooklyn man who has won promotion
at Camp Gordon with the
Quartermaster Corps is Anthony
Christian, formerly of 261 Bridge St.,
who is now a member of Co. C, 406th
It. L. Battalion. Christian has been
made a sergeant and Is slated for
still higher promotion in the near future,
it is said.
Laura
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Also, you may check these mormon's microfilms:

Title Manhattan birth certificates, 1866-1897; birth index cards, 1866- 1897
Authors New York (New York). Department of Health (Main Author)

Birth index cards Be-Ci 1896
FHL US/CAN Film 1323636
Birth index cards Cl-Fi 1896
FHL US/CAN Film 1323637

Once you'll find the correct certificate number they have also the microfilms for the documents and you'll be able to find it...

Laura
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Yes the father was, Donato Cristino ( death 8 jun 1936) and wife Maria Antonia( maiden name Di Stasi??);

the first daughter Rosa, born in Italy, married at Nicholas Cosentino..

I found the censuses but no the 1900 census..
better:
I found a Donato Cristino, wife Mary A, but the children have different first names...:

1900 United States Federal Census
about Denio Christiano
Name: Denio Christiano
Home in 1900: Manhattan, New York, New York
Birth Date: Mar 1859
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Immigration Year: 1883
Relationship to Head of House: Head
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Spouse's name: Mary A
Marriage Year: 1888
Marital Status: Married
Years Married: 12
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Denio Christiano 41
Mary A Christiano 33
Bridget Christiano 6 (Manhattan16 jun 1893)
Carmin Christiano 4 (Manhattan feb 1896)
Mary A Christiano 2
Tony Christiano 0 ( Manhattan 4 Mar 1900...?)

Bridget was born in 16 Jun 1893 Manhattan;

lacking Rosa, so this family don't match...

Maybe Antonio was registered with a different first name and called Antonio in the family, that is possible....
1910 United States Federal Census about Daniel Christia
Name: Daniel Christia
Age in 1910: 45
Estimated birth year: abt 1865
Relation to Head of House: Head
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Spouse's name: Mary
Home in 1910: Manhattan Ward 14, New York, New York
Year of Immigration: 1895

Daniel Christia
Mary Christia
Rose Christia
Tony Christia
Laura Christia
Lizzie Christia ( Manhattan 22 Feb 1901)
Vincent Christia

1920 United States Federal Census about Daniel Christino
Name: Daniel Christino
Home in 1920: Brooklyn Assembly District 21, Kings, New York
Estimated birth year: abt 1865
Relation to Head of House: Self (Head)
[Head]
Spouse's name: Mary
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Sex: Male
Home owned: Rent
Year of Immigration: 1893
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes

Daniel Christino
Mary Christino
Anthony Christino
Laura Christino
Elizabeth Christino
Vincent Christino
Mildred Christino

I cheched in IGI batch numbers of Manhattan 1896 and I no found Antonio...
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by KarenChristino »

Laura,

Thanks so much for that clip! That's fabulous. It is my GF as that was his address. How did you find it? I searched the Brooklyn Eagle on microfilms for his marriage with no luck and their online database is years earlier. I will check out the other sources that you suggest. We (including my dad) knew nothing about his military career.

Suanj,

Antonio's father's name was Donato Cristino. His mother was Mariantonia. I found them quickly and easily in Italy on the FHL microfilms -- the Italian records seem so much better than ours!

I found Donato in the 1930 Census, but only by searching for my aunt, who was transcribed as "Elizabeth Christias." But in the original you can see her father is correct as Donato Cristino. My GF in 1930 is "Anthony Christiano." In 1920 my GF is Anthony Christino (the name he usually used) but Donato is listed as "Daniel Christino." My GGM both times is called "Mary."

Probably 20 years ago I searched for them in 1900 on NARA microfilms with an address I had, and through the Soundex with no luck. Where were they hiding? So far, I still cannot find any of them in 1900, 1905 NYS or 1910 Census with the new addresses I found in the NYC Directory. They were in Manhattan from 1895 probably until 1910.

Thanks for any more suggestions!

Karen
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Laura,

Thanks so much for that clip! That's fabulous. It is my GF as that was his address. How did you find it? I searched the Brooklyn Eagle on microfilms for his marriage with no luck and their online database is years earlier. I will check out the other sources that you suggest. We (including my dad) knew nothing about his military career.
Karen, I apologize because I forgot to point you the link to the site:

http://www.fultonhistory.com/

really a great site!

Laura
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi Karen the 1910 census and 1920 census of Donato I already posted as a well the Donato death date.. here the Donato obit
http://www.fultonhistory.com/Newspaper% ... ehtml&.pdf
the 1900 census that I found is abt a donato cristino, wife Maria A... but something matching not.. I found Elizabeth birth in Manhattan 22 feb 1901 but I cannot find the Antonio birth as a well the other children births...
sure the family was in Manhattan in 1901...
Donato was born in Montecalvo Irpino.. maybe this is the trip:
First Name:
Donato
Last Name:
Cristino
Ethnicity:
Italy
Last Place of Residence:

Date of Arrival:
Jun 05, 1895
Age at Arrival: 29y Gender: M Marital Status:
Ship of Travel:
Italia (1872)
Port of Departure:
Naples
Manifest Line Number:
travelling alone, so Maria Antonia and Rose daughter travelled just some month after...
I searched in 1900 census but not luck, just another Donato with wife also Maria A, but as I already said the children matching not... it are no other sources available online; the best is:
All New York City Births, 1891-1902 by ancestry.com and no luck also.. so my idea, by experience is that maybe he born with another first name really, and after he becoming Antonio... it is possible...
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by KarenChristino »

Suanj,

Wow! This is terrific information. It took me months to piece this stuff together and you found it 1,2,3! I found "Denio" too, but you are right, it's not my family. That does look like them from 1910 -- I'll have to check it out. Maybe there is an address and I can find them in earlier years.

I did not consider that perhaps Antonio had a different name originally. (He was the first boy and named for an uncle.) I will have to go through the index cards as Laura also suggested. But if that is the case it would make it more difficult to prove ancestry.

I do have a copy of the Will -- one of the first documents I found since I still live near them in Brooklyn. I think it may be helpful to me because Donato says Anthony is his son and my GF signed Affidavits as both "Christino" and "Cristino."

Thanks so much again!

Karen