An excerpt from an immigration record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

An excerpt from an immigration record

Post by jwazevedo »

I've been struggling with the handwriting on my great-aunt's brother's immigration record. Emilio Mossi came to California in 1908, and the "where's he going" section of the record suffers from illegible handwriting. Here's the link:
http://img134.imageshack.us/i/mossiexcerpt.jpg/

Here's what I have so far:
?? Cesar ??
(nephew)??? Mendocino County, Cal.

Any thoughts?

Grazie,
Jerry
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: An excerpt from an immigration record

Post by Tessa78 »

Jerry,

I can see why you're having trouble.

However, the word before Cesar looks like "Uncle" to me. The dot above the word is actually from the N.Y. abbreviation above.

I brought up the manifest on ancestry to look at the other handwriting on the page to see if that helps. I'll continue to look at it.

Meanwhile, did you know that the manifest is actually dated Oct. 1910?

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Jerry,

The name after Cesar looks like Tamassi, Tarrasi, Farrasi, Farrari (or some variation). The first word on the next line could be Inglenook, since the first page of the manifest lists Emilio's final destination (column 12) as Inglenook, California (The San Francisco was crossed out).

Good luck.
T.
jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jwazevedo »

My goodness, Tessa, but that's some nice deducing. I agree with you about the "Uncle", and there really is an Inglenook in Mendocino County, so that might just be what it is. I'd missed the notation on the previous page. Thanks! I'll try some variations on the names in the white pages and see if anything pops up in Ticino. I'm still puzzling over the "Dubrasko, Switzerland" as his homeplace, since there is no such place, and his emigration papers say he was from Carena.
Jerry
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Jerry,

I found a Cesar Ferrari Visca on a manifest in March of 1911. He was headed to his uncle Paolo Duchini in Guadalupe, California. The interesting thing is that his birthplace is listed as Giubasco (sound like Dubrasko to you?). Seems Giubiasco is " a municipality in the district of Bellinzona in the canton of Ticino in Switzerland. It borders Bellinzona to the north, and sits at the mouth of Valle Morobbia," according to Wikipedia. Since you mentioned Ticino in your post, and it was mentioned in this description of Giubasco...I thought I would pass it along. Maybe it's the town. And the Cesar???? could he have traveled more than once? This date of 1911 doesn't seem to work with Emilio arriving in 1908 (or 10?)... But then again...you never know.

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Found a Cesar Tarrasi on the 1920 Census in Guadalupe, California. when you see the actual census you can recognize that the name is actually Ferrari. He is Italian and born in Switzerland. Thought you might like to check it out:

http://search.ancestry.com/iexec/Defaul ... d=95437308

T.
jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jwazevedo »

Thanks, Tessa. It's starting to get a little swirly. I've found a bunch of Mossi immigrations, and there's a Mossi branch coming from Giubiasco ("Dubrasko", yes). I don't know if they're related to the San Antonio/Carena Mossis where Emilio comes from. But I did run across a Cesare Tamagni from San Antonio. He was going to New York in 1898 and 1904. He might have made it out to California. I haven't had a chance to look for other Cesares in the Ellis Island and census records (dinnertime; slow Internet connection) but will do so later tonight. I appreciate your thoughts on this.
Jerry
Mossi1891

Post by Mossi1891 »

To: jwazevedo

Emilio Mossi was my grandfather who came from Carena, Switzerland.
He went to Mendocino Co., CA. to do logging. His best friend, from
Switzerland, was killed in a logging accident. Emilio then relocated to Petaluma, CA where he married Giulietta Dado from Tomales, CA. (Giulietta's father was Paolo Gasper Dado from Carverno, Valle Magge, Switzerland). Emilio and Julia had (3) sons: Edmund (my father), Robert,
and Vincent. (All are deceased) There were premature twin daughters born, that did not survive after birth.
Was your great aunt, Delphina Mossi Baroni? One of her sons, Emil
"James" Baroni is still living in Bloomfield, CA. One other son or daugther
may be living.) Delphina died as a result of an ear boil/infection, that was lanced, casuing her to bleed to death. 2 yr. old Emil "James" Baroni and some of his siblings came to live with Emilio, Julia, and their sons.
Emil " James" Baroni( who we have known all our lives), I, and my step mom recently did some photo and geneology work. That picture of
the fellow holding the accordian looks like my grandfather. .
I have been to Switzerland, where I met Emilio's last living sister, Candida and her (2) sons in 1976. I also went back in 2004.
Do you have more photos, letters, and informations? We have a far amount. Please contact me.
Ciao, Linda Mossi
jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jwazevedo »

Linda,
I've sent you a PM so that we can connect regarding Emilio Mossi.
Best,
Jerry
RANSOM

Post by RANSOM »

Hello Jerry,

My grandfather was Cesare Tamagni from Carena. He permanently emigrated to Mendocino County in 1910 to Ten Mile River (Inglenook) area.
No doubt he is the same uncle your Emilio Mossi was to locate. I am also related to the late Dolores (Buletti) Mossi who married Vincent Mossi in Petaluma. She was my second cousin. I have lived in Petaluma most of my life. I would be happy to answer any further questions about my family history. I still have Tamagni cousins living in Carena & Bellinzona area. And yes, the village referred to is Giubasco in the Valle Morobbia.

Best Regards, Bob
jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jwazevedo »

Thanks, Bob. I've sent you a PM.
Jerry