NYC Citizenship through Ancestry

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
diamantegrezzo

NYC Citizenship through Ancestry

Post by diamantegrezzo »

I have my appointment at the NYC Italian Consulate in 10.5 months and I am a little bit nervous because I am claiming my right to duel citizenship through my maternal grandmother. Does anyone know if that would make a difference or should I just get it through my great grandparents? Thank you for the help!
mler
Master
Master

Re: NYC Citizenship through Ancestry

Post by mler »

I am assuming that your maternal grandmother was the ancestor born in Italy and that she was not naturalized at the time of your mother's birth. If your mother was not born before 1948, there is no problem with this line.
diamantegrezzo

Post by diamantegrezzo »

Dear Mler,

My grandmother was born in Italy and was naturalized in 1970, my mother was born in the U.S in 1952. Thank you so much for your help! I feel like I am under the gun even though I have 10.5 months. I don't know how long it will take to deal with Italian Authorities to get my grandmother's birth certificate, so I am nervous. Your response is greatly appreciated :D
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

If possible, you should consider making a trip to Italy to obtain the birth certificate. You can just walk into the Comune, show your American passport and/or other ID and ask for what you want. That's what I did and right before my eyes, the Sindaco (Mayor) went to some big, old books, located my clan and then typed up a copy, slapped his seal on it and that was that. Also, while I waited, the same Mayor got my father's first cousin on the phone, and I was having dinner with this cousin (whom I had never met before) that very same evening in his home with his family.
diamantegrezzo

Post by diamantegrezzo »

I was actually thinking about going to Italy just to do that. I am afraid if I mailed the request it would take forever. Thank you fo much for the advice. I mean who could turn down a trip to Italy anyway. I do believe I still have some family down there. So it would be worth it!! Thank you again.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

A trip to Italy would be great, but it's probably not necessary in terms of getting a birth certificate. The comuni usually respond quickly to requests for birth certificate especially if you have all the name/date information. As an alternative, you can ask a relative to pick it up for you.