Question About Derivative Naturalization...

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
mcritelli82

Question About Derivative Naturalization...

Post by mcritelli82 »

Hi Everyone :D

Been reading the forums for a little bit now in my quest to understand whether or not I'm eligible for italian citizenship under jure sanguinis. I'm trying to go through my GF's parents side since there's more easily found information to piece together.

At first glance I thought I was OK, but in another post I read about derivative naturalization which has thrown everything up in the air. Below is the sequence of events:

- GGF and GGM born in Tiriolo, Italy (Calabria region) in 1888 and 1887 respectively.

- Immigrated to the US as a married couple on 3/5/1913

- My GF was born in the US on 7/10/1913

- It appears my GGF naturalized in 1928 and GGM in 1942 (I can't figure out why they waited that long and then went through the process 14 years apart)

So my GF was born in the US and therefore a US citizen at the time of his birth. And since neither my GGF nor GGM were naturalized so he should would have duel citizenship at this point.

However, when my GGF naturalized in 1928, my GF was 15 years old and as a minor would be automatically naturalized, but I'm hoping since he was born in the US he wouldn't have been eligible for naturalization (since he's a US citizen), and my GGF wouldn't have listed him on his naturalization papers and therefore my GF would still technically be a duel citizen. Therefore my dad would technically be duel and I would be as well.

If there is a problem with this I still have my grandmothers lineage to investigate but as I said, there's much more information available with this side of the family and if its all kosher, would be easier for me to gather the necessary documents.

I hope you all have some good news to share :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Question About Derivative Naturalization...

Post by johnnyonthespot »

If your grandfather had been born in Italy, he would have automatically naturalized with his father since he was still a minor at the time.

However, since grandfather was born in the US, he was - as you stated - born a US citizen and therefore there was no reason for him to become a naturalized citizen as well.

You are good to go using your GGF -> GF lineage.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
mcritelli82

Post by mcritelli82 »

Hey JOTS -

Thanks for the quick reply! Now I guess I need to start the process of tracking down all these documents!

Matt
rondenardo

Post by rondenardo »

Hi Matt,

Have you checked out my site for Tiriolo. You might find it helpful and I would like to touch base with you about your family. My number is 269-345-0690 or rondenardo at sbcglobal.net