Settembre?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Settembre?

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Am I dreaming, or is that a "7" in front of the "bre" making the month Settembre?

If not, then which is it - Ottobre, Novembre, or Dicembre?

The document is an 1873 census which has additional notations well into the 1890's. The writing and abbreviations used vary and I do not see any similar abbreviated months (they are either spelled out or abbreviated using the more common genn°, febb°, ag°, and so on).
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Settembre?

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Carmine :-)

I would say that it is indeed a 7bre...which is an abbreviation for Settembre!
I have seen this mostly in the marginal notations...

T.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

I see it all the time in civil and parish records.
7bre = September
8bre = October
9bre = November
Xbre = December
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

At one time, there were only ten months in the Roman calendar. September through December were the seventh through tenth months respectively, hence their names being derived from septem (meaning seventh), octo (meaning eighth), novem (meaning ninth), and decem (meaning tenth). When the calendar was expanded to twelve months circa 700 BCE, September through December lost their rightful numerical places. Thus, their abbreviations reflect their names rather than their position in the calendar.
John Armellino
defilip1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by defilip1 »

I believe that is not 700 BCE, but rather, AUC
ab urbe condita—"from the founding of the city [Rome]", since July and August are named after Julius Caesar and Caesar Augustus, with July showing up on 1-January-45 BCE = January 709 AUC. Cheers, Louis