MARTIONE

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
nuthatch

MARTIONE

Post by nuthatch »

Looking for family roots in Italy. Oreste/Orazio/Horace Martione/Mattrioni Picture rame Maker born c 1841 +- 5 years came from Italy probably between 1861 - 1863. Married so it is said at Catholic Chaprl, Saffron Hill (? which church is this) to Ellen Cleary and deserted her c1866 leaving her with Joseph aged 2 1/2 and Louis born march 1866. Did he return to Italy or what?
Brick wall. :cry:
Seraphina
Veteran
Veteran

Re: MARTIONE

Post by Seraphina »

Hi Nuthatch.

The following church might be a good place to search:

At the top of Leather Lane on Clerkenwell Road - the Italian Quarter. The Italian Church of St Peter was opened in 1863 and still draws its congregation from all over London.

Good luck

Seraphina
Seraphina
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Seraphina »

Hi Nuthatch,

The following is more likely to be the church you are looking for:-

Sts Peter and Paul, Amwell Street, Clerkenwell, London EC1.?Mission established 1842, chapel in Saffron Hill.

The church has an email address, so you could request information about where to find the marriage cert: clerkenwell@rcdow.org.uk

good luck

Seraphina
nuthatch

Post by nuthatch »

Many thanks - cross fingers !
Seraphina
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Seraphina »

Another suggestion:-

Have you searched on Ancestry.co.uk? You need to pay for a subscription to see the information.

However, there are several people with the surname Martione listed there, living in the London area. One of them is a Joseph Horris Martione married to an Emily Ellen.

There is also an immigration for at least 1 Martione.

Hope you find who you are looking for.

Seraphina
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

There is something odd about your surnames Martione and variations or the variations of Mattrioni andresearched all of Italy for the surnames you listed and their variations with negative results..The closest Italian surname is based upon the base surname MARTINI and the closest to you is MARTINO. =Peter=
~Peter~
nuthatch

Post by nuthatch »

Thanks to both of you , yes those on Free BMD and ancestry are all my Gt grandather and his children as Martione. Before it was all changed to Martin.The census I have and a marriage are: Martione, Martone (popular this one in Italy) Marttrioni. Marttinia. It is odd I agree. Not helped by the mother being Irish, he being newly immigrant at the age given on her examination at the workhouse 1866. She was probably not able to read or write as put her mark.Almost anything similar could be right. The Martione on ancestry was 1838 into the country - merchant.Mine was a picture-frame maker. I do however see lots of Martione as immigrants to USA. Also 2 on the IGI. So close.................after many years.! My grandfather went o NY, USA for a visit 1894-1895, but his brother was there (as Martin) 1888 till 1890.
Seraphina
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Seraphina »

Hi,

Thinking about Joseph Horris (senior) being a picture frame maker.
This would have been quite a skilled craft, and I wondered if he had been recruited in Italy to a particular project in London. Other skilled craftsmen were recruited during the 19th century, e.g, terrazzo workers, mosaics, statue makers etc. These were usually recruited from specific areas of Italy - quite often from the areas in and around Como. Other places as well, of course.

Perhaps someone out there would know.

But the small handful of Martione's entering Ellis Island and Castle Garden all departed from Naples. (I'm assuming Martione is the correct spelling of your surname, and of course it doesn't seem to exist in Italy now.)

Let us know if you have any joy with the marriage record at Ss. Peter & Paul.

Seraphina
Seraphina
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Seraphina »

Hi Nuthatch,

I have sent you a PM.

Seraphina