WWII

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

WWII

Post by Donald66 »

My brother and I recall a family story/legend that our grandfather was questioned on 2 occassions by the FBI during WWII with regards to his being an Italian citizen while the US & Italy were at war.

Evidently, his employer (an affluent Greenwich, CT resident) had issues with my grandfather's nationality.

Has anyone else had a similar situation? What is the likelihood that the FBI would have made notes of these interviews?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: WWII

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Records are probably available. See this page http://foia.fbi.gov/
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Donald66 »

Carmine,

Thanks for the link.

If any records were kept, hopefully they note my grandfather's alien status.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Donald call the NARA Offfice in D.C. at 1-866-272-6272 and ask them to check their index to the WW11 Alien Enemy Detention and Internment case files for Italians. You might wish to request your fathers index number, if any. =Peter=
~Peter~
Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Donald66 »

Peter,

If my grandfather was just questioned, would he still be listed in these files?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Most likely NO but if there is a record it would be in the archives under this title or a related file for Italian nationals specifically but if you don't research you will never know, Oftimes atg the archives they pore thru records to make room and dispose of files and keep others..who is to know? =Peter=
~Peter~
Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Donald66 »

PeterTimber wrote:Donald call the NARA Offfice in D.C. at 1-866-272-6272 and ask them to check their index to the WW11 Alien Enemy Detention and Internment case files for Italians. You might wish to request your fathers index number, if any. =Peter=
Just got off the phone with NARA & was told that I need to contact the College Park, MD office of NARA for this info.

The journey continues..............................
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Please keep us posted Donald..Its good to know since we do get inquiries from time to time similar to yours. =Peter=
~Peter~
Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Donald66 »

Sent my request to the NARA via e-mail last night & got a response from them this morning requesting some additional info.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Thanks -your my hero! =Peter=
~Peter~