Capobianco & Volpe of Benevento

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
RCapobianco

Capobianco & Volpe of Benevento

Post by RCapobianco »

I am trying to find information on Aristide Capobianco, b. 1884, presumed son of Giovanni Capobianco, b. 2 Feb 1863. And Ermelindo Volpe, "step-son", b. 31 Aug 1876.
According to the the manifest for Neustria, 7 Dec 1901, Orestide, age 17, was coming to Natick, RI to meet step-brother Ermelindo Volpe. The only connection I can make between Ermelindo and my other Capobianco's, is the address in Natick (Box 236). On the manifest of Citta di Napoli, 18 Jul 1902, when Giovanni & son Silvio, came to America, the destination address is "son Aristide, Box 236, Natick".
Aristide died Febuary 11, 1903 in Rhode Island Hospital, and was buried in a pauper's grave in Providence, RI. It is puzzling why the family did not speak of him and he wasn't buried with the family. Also I would like to establish the relationship of Ermelindo Volpe to Giovanni Capobianco. Ermelindo lived near the Capobianco's, but does not appear to have had any involvement in the family. I would be grateful if someone could please help me solve this mystery.
RCapobianco

Re: Capobianco & Volpe of Benevento

Post by RCapobianco »

Can anyone tell me if it was common that a family would disown a son for leaving the Catholic faith? It seems a very likely possibility that Aristide Capobianco may have converted to Baptist, along with Ermelindo Volpe.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

I have researched several families who converted to other faiths after leaving Italy. Sometimes they were married in Italy and took another 'wife' in their new country. Essentially this means they can no longer receive communion in the Catholic faith. Converting to the faith of their new partner wouldn't be difficult under these circumstances.
If the family disowned him it was probably more for the sin he was committing than the fact that he changed religion. Although I remember as a child accompanying a Catholic friend to confession and she was surprised that it wasn't a sin for a protestant to enter a Catholic Church. She was forbidden to enter a protestant church, so maybe they would have disowned him.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
baptist

Post by baptist »

Ermelindo Volpe is my grandfather. Ermelindo Volpe came here in 03/03/1893 on the SS Karamania with his brother Elviro. He left his father, two brothers and a sister in Italy. He listed Natick, RI as his destination when he landed at Ellis Island. A close friend of his was a man named Nicandro Campopiano whose family was in Natick. These were three of the original founders of the First Italian Baptist Church of America, later changed to Emmanuel Baptist Church, in Providence, RI emmanuelbaptistri.org). There is no record of Aristide Capobianco in any of the church records that we have, or in any of the family histories. It may be that when they immagrated to the US the customs agents misunderstood them and wrote the wrong name, one Capobianco and the other Campopiano. I hope this is helpful.