1888 naturalization

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
oilman19
Master
Master

1888 naturalization

Post by oilman19 »

I have 2 family members (of Irish descent) who were naturalized in 1888. Is there any indexed info available online or is it necessary to send for any and all info related to this process.
I thought I had seen Raffaela or Laura produce some naturalization info for some posters questions. Does it require a subscription to Ancestry?
Thank you very much for your help. :)
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
vj
Master
Master

Re: 1888 naturalization

Post by vj »

Hi Jim
Here's a neat index of records by state
http://www.germanroots.com/naturalization.html
Valarie
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Hi Valerie

I tried the index with no success. I can't say whether it was because of my lack of knowledge or lack of patience.

Would you be able to look for Edward and Margaret (Gordon) Byrne in 1888 (according to census records) in Kings County (probably Brooklyn, NY).

Thank you
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

oilman19 wrote:Hi Valerie

I tried the index with no success. I can't say whether it was because of my lack of knowledge or lack of patience.

Would you be able to look for Edward and Margaret (Gordon) Byrne in 1888 (according to census records) in Kings County (probably Brooklyn, NY).

Thank you
I'll be happy to take a look
(Kings County records are in the Eastern District)
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Jim,
Checked this index without success
http://www.stevemorse.org/vital/naturalization.html
Eastern District (Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island, Nassau, Suffolk) 1865-1956
---
Checked the same index on footnote. com - no luck
---
Since it was so early, perhaps it was a local court?

Valarie
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

What surprised me was the rapidity of their naturalization. According to the 1920 census they emigrated in 1882 and naturalized in 1888, the year their 1st child was born.
Most of this family's history is Brooklyn, but my resources are sparse back in the 1880's. I suppose it could have been another county in NY.
I was really hoping to shore up my knowledge of these early years and maybe determine where in Ireland they emigrated from.
Jim

oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

I just read this attached post about naturalization questions being answered incorrectly on the census form.
http://italiangenealogy.com/Forums/view ... tml#133434

Maybe that was the case here.
Jim