Bottecchia - from Cordignano

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
djahde

Bottecchia - from Cordignano

Post by djahde »

Looking for any info on my great grandfathers history - Luigi Bottecchia. He was born around 1878, died 1926 in Raritan, NJ. He arrived in the US through Ellis Island in 1904. I believe he was born in Cordignano. I was able to locate some records on Ellis Island site and a WWI draft card.

I am also trying to figure out if he was related to Ottavio Bottecchia the first Italian to win the Tour de France. They have similar facial features. I am pretty sure they are not brothers, but possibly cousins. My info on Ottavio is that he was born Aug 1, 1894. He died mysteriously on June 15, 1927. I believe he comes from the San Martin di Colle, Umberto area of Italy.

Any info you can help me with would be great!
pink67
Master
Master

Re: Bottecchia - from Cordignano

Post by pink67 »

I am pretty sure they are not brothers, but possibly cousins. My info on Ottavio is that he was born Aug 1, 1894.
Welcome to the Forum! :D

From Googlebooks:

http://books.google.it/books?id=E7pPG8s ... &q&f=false

Ottavio Bottechia's siblings were:

Erminio, Angela, Giuseppina, Francesco a.k.a. Bortolo, Domenico a.k.a. Carlo, Maria and Giovanni. His father's name was Francesco Bottecchia, his mother's maiden name Elena Tonel.
He was born and lived in Borgo Minelle, a fraction of San Martino di Colle Umberto...

Laura
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Just in the case you don't have , from Ancestry.com:

1910 United States Federal Census
about Louise Bottechio
Name: Louise Bottechio
[Laugi Bottecher]
Age in 1910: 33
Estimated birth year: abt 1877
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Boarder
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Home in 1910: Bridgewater, Somerset, New Jersey
Marital Status: Single
Race: White
Year of Immigration: 1903
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Ricola Kochafer 29
[59]
Michael Kochafer 18
Elizabeth Kochafer 16
Lena Kochafer 14
Louise Bottechio 33 male, born in IT, single, immigr. year 1903,

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=Tsk6sBi

possible 1920 census?

1920 United States Federal Census
about Louis Potecha
Name: Louis Potecha
[Louis Potscha]
Home in 1920: Raritan, Somerset, New Jersey
Estimated birth year: abt 1878
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Self (Head)
[Head]
Spouse's name: Mary
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Marital Status: Married
Sex: Male
Home owned: Own
Year of Immigration: 1907
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Louis Potecha 42 , head, born in Italy, Alien
Mary Potecha 30 wife, born in IT, Alien
Louis Potecha 5 son, born in NJ
Emma Potecha 4 daughter, born in NJ
[4 2/12]
Mamie Potecha 2 daughter, born in nJ
[2 1/12

Image:
http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=Tsk7zri

Laura
javedjee77

Post by javedjee77 »

You are so right
djahde

Post by djahde »

Laura, thank you so much for the info.

It is very interesting how the names get tweaked. The information you sent is about my family. The 1920 census is a little off, their first born was actually a daughter, Louise, who is my Grandmother. Mamie passed away the week before last in Raritan, NJ. Her official name was Mary, but they called her "Mamie" and "Mae".

The last thing I don't know is who Luigi Bottecchia's parents were so I can see if he is connected to Ottavio as a cousin.
---------------------------------------------------------
Researching Surnames: Bottecchia, Giacomel, Della Bona, Zambianco, Pivirotto, Menegus, Matteis, Braca
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

:D

From Ancestry.com the WW! draft Card (that you already have)

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
about Luigi Bottecchia
Name: Luigi Bottecchia
County: Somerset
State: New Jersey
Birth Date: 16 Aug 1877
FHL Roll Number: 1754439
DraftBoard: 1

I found Luigi's name on the website of the State archive of Treviso:

http://www.archiviodistatotreviso.benic ... olaID=7306

Cognome: Bottecchia
Nome: Luigi
Nome Padre/ Father's name: Francesco
Cognome madre/Mother's lastname: Giacomel
Nome madre/ Mother's first name: Domenica
Anno di nascita/Birth year: 1877
Mese di nascita/ Month year: 8
Giorno di nascita / Birth day: 16
Comune di nascita / birth town: Cordignano
Birth province: Treviso
Notes: Passport issued for emigration to the U.S. on 1904

Laura
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Considering that Ottavio's father's name was Francesco and Luigi's father's name was Francesco too I don't believe they were cousins because it's not possible for two brothers to have the same first name...

Laura
djahde

Post by djahde »

pink67 wrote:
I am pretty sure they are not brothers, but possibly cousins. My info on Ottavio is that he was born Aug 1, 1894.
Welcome to the Forum! :D

From Googlebooks:

Ottavio Bottechia's siblings were:

Erminio, Angela, Giuseppina, Francesco a.k.a. Bortolo, Domenico a.k.a. Carlo, Maria and Giovanni. His father's name was Francesco Bottecchia, his mother's maiden name Elena Tonel.
He was born and lived in Borgo Minelle, a fraction of San Martino di Colle Umberto...

Laura
djahde

Post by djahde »

Hi Laura, did not see your previous message on his birth info till I went back into the forum.

Is Luigi synonymous for another Italian name? In the list of siblings from the book on google, I did not see his name there. Also the book mentions a Elena Tonel, but the records show a Domenica Giacomel. Is Elena a nickname for Domenica?

It is amazing what you have found!
Researching Surnames: Bottecchia, Giacomel, Della Bona, Zambianco, Pivirotto, Menegus, Matteis, Braca
djahde

Post by djahde »

Hi Laura, I found something else in another article on the internet.

http://www2.regione.veneto.it/videoinf/ ... clismo.htm

Nacque a San Martino di Colle Umberto nella marca Trevigiana, nel 1894. Ottavio era al nono posto della graduatoria interna della discendenza del muratore Pietro Bottecchia e di sua moglie Elena Tonel.

Sounds like Ottavio's father was Pietro Bottecchia. I also went on the Treviso site you listed above and found a record for a Giovanni.
http://www.archiviodistatotreviso.benic ... laID=20383
It shows father as Pietro and mother as Elena, which semi-matches with what came from the book excerpt.

I am not sure they are brothers.
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

djahde wrote:Hi Laura, did not see your previous message on his birth info till I went back into the forum.

Is Luigi synonymous for another Italian name? In the list of siblings from the book on google, I did not see his name there. Also the book mentions a Elena Tonel, but the records show a Domenica Giacomel. Is Elena a nickname for Domenica?

It is amazing what you have found!
I found all the references for Ottavio bottecchia and his family on Googlebooks in the link I pointed to you:

In this book there is mentioned that in some articles Ottavio's father's name is Pietro but it was wrong because Ottavio's father was a Francesco Bottecchia married to an Elena Tonel....

"Your" Luigi Bottecchia was son of a Francesco Bottecchia married to a Domenica Giacomel

These are two different families.... I don't believe that the father of Ottavio and the father of Luigi were brothers (you wrote that you believe that Ottavio and Luigi were cousins, so sons of brothers) beacuse their first name was the same and it's impossible for two brothers to have the same firstname... and of course Ottavio and Luigi were not brothers...
Sounds like Ottavio's father was Pietro Bottecchia. I also went on the Treviso site you listed above and found a record for a Giovanni.
www.archiviodistatotre...laID=20383
It shows father as Pietro and mother as Elena, which semi-matches with what came from the book excerpt.
the record you found is for a Giovanni Bottecchia born on 1879 son of Pietro Bottecchia and Elena Bortoluzzi, so another family... I believe nothing to do with Ottavio...
Is Luigi synonymous for another Italian name?
Luigi is a fist name, not a synonymous for another name....

Laura
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

You can use this helpful site to see the actual Bottecchio living in the veneto region and in which towns:

http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/cognomi/cognomi.html

Laura
djahde

Post by djahde »

Thanks Laura for the info and bearing with my ignorance.

I got it. Ottavio and Luigi are definitely not brothers or cousins since their father can't have the same first name.

I found out today that my grandmother's middle name (Luigi's first born daughter) is Domenica, so the information you provided on "my" Luigi is correct.
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Oh... no problem at all... I understood that possibly you were overlooking something.... However as you can see using the last site I mentioned the Bottecchia lastname is not common and is maily present in the Veneto and Friuli Venezia Giulia region so possibly the had a common ancestor.... :D

Laura
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

From the site:
http://www.cognomiitaliani.org/cognomi/ ... 0002os.htm
BOTTECCHIA
Bottecchia sembra specifico del trevisano, di Colle Umberto, Vittorio Veneto e Conegliano, dovrebbe derivare da un soprannome originato probabilmente dalla conformazione fisica del capostipite che forse era leggermente grassottello. Personaggio famoso è stato il corridore ciclista Ottavio Bottecchia di San Martino di Colle Umberto (TV), prima muratore, poi medaglia al valore militare durante la prima guerra mondiale vinse il Tour de France nel 1924 e nel 1925.
integrazioni fornite da Giovanni Vezzelli
Bottecchia è derivato del cognome base Botti, viene dal latino 'butticùla' = botticella.
I hope some friend here can correctly translate this explanation of the Bottecchia lastname for you... :wink:

Laura