Nicola D'Amato

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
chrisdamato
Elite
Elite

Nicola D'Amato

Post by chrisdamato »

I just got back from the local Family History library and was able to find my great grandfather Pietro's birth record from Sant'Arsenio, Italy. Also found an older sister that we were not aware of.

The parents, Nicola D'Amato and Maddalena Pandolfo appear to have been in their 30's when Pietro was born in 1879. I can see the word "trenta" but I can't make out the letters after that. Unfortunately, this file is too large for me to attach. I'd very much like to have someone look it over, but am not sure how to make the file small enough to send.
chrisdamato
Elite
Elite

Re: Nicola D'Amato

Post by chrisdamato »

I managed to crop it enough to get it the right size. Could someone please tell me how old each parent was? It looks to me like the mother was only 30, but not sure.
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

It looks like Nicola is 37 and Maddalena is 30.
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
chrisdamato
Elite
Elite

Post by chrisdamato »

this is the record for the other child Anna, who was born in 1873. It looks to me like Maddalena is 30 on this record too. Am I just seeing things? How can this be?
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Ages of parents in Italian birth record records for their children are inconsistent and unreliable. So that is why, when you estimate the parents' dates of birth, based on their ages in their children's birth records, you have to have a range of years for their dates of birth in order to find their own birth records.
chrisdamato
Elite
Elite

Post by chrisdamato »

So it's not uncommon for the parents ages to be listed as being the same in 1879 as they were in 1873???
Lili2
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lili2 »

Ive noticed from my own research that there are many variabilities with parent ages in their child's birth record. Usually it is an estimated age for the parent. Also Ive noted that the age in death records is often just an estimate too. This is often because a witness reports the death and may therefore be guessing the persons age and sometimes the witness may not know the deceased person's parent's names. The best way to find out the actual age is to find the person's birth record.
My family are from Sicily: Fiumefreddo, Ficarra, Giampilieri, Cumia, Messina and Carmela Zagami,Argentina.
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

I concur. Some of my ancestors appeared to be turning younger as successive birth acts were recorded. It has driven me crazy.
It sure makes it more challenging to try to calculate a possible birth year for the parents. On one occasion, I actually used a birth act that ended up being a baby who had died. Eventually, I discovered the correct birth act that occurred 3 years later using the same name.
In a similar vein, I noted that many of the morti's I have found for people who lived beyond the average age expectation (70,80, etc.) all died at the beginning of a decade of years primarily because the witness had no solid proof of the age of the decedent and, I suspect, the illiteracy factor.
It is just something else to cause us "detectives" to be a bit more vigilant.
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
chrisdamato
Elite
Elite

Post by chrisdamato »

Good God!! That is not good news for me. I can't tell you how many D'Amatos there were with the same name. In fact, Pietro's older brother Arsenio is extraordinarily difficult. From the period 1866-1879, there seemed to be 2 or 3 Arsenios born each year!!! When I get the birth records for the 1840s, how will I know which Nicola D'Amato I'm looking for???
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Chris
His father's name was Mattia. It's on the section of the record you posted above.
Peg
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

He was deceased on that record (the first image you posted).
chrisdamato
Elite
Elite

Post by chrisdamato »

It listed the father's name??? That's wonderful. I am going to post some additional pics for you all to look at. Perhaps it says who Maddalena's parents are as well??
chrisdamato
Elite
Elite

Post by chrisdamato »

Actually, I found Maddalena's father's name. It says it's Pietro!! I will need to look up the matrimonial record to get their proper ages and mother's names.
chrisdamato
Elite
Elite

Post by chrisdamato »

Can someone please give me a translation on the address where they lived when Pietro was born? It looks like Vio Fontana....

Thank you.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

address is Via Fontana Maggiore-no number on the house