Foglio di Congedo di Ilimitato

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Foglio di Congedo di Ilimitato

Post by johnnyonthespot »

This is cut from the Foglio di Congedo di Ilimitato of an uncle who came to the US in 1906, returned to Italy in 1915 to serve during WWI, and then returned to the US in 1920 where he married and spent the rest of his life.

Whatever you can get out of it (Italian would be fine; Italian and English would be great) would be appreciated.

Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Foglio di Congedo di Ilimitato

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Carmine... :D

I can get the process started...

"Arruolato quale inscritto di leva del compartimento marittima(?) di Reggio Calabria con la classes 1895 per la _____di anni tre
Quale aggiunto essendo stati ______la dichiarazione di ____
Marxxx
Riceviato in congedo illimitato

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Continuing...

E____al A. Esercito Distretto Militare di Reggio Calabria al
38205 di matricola ______________________sulla leva marritima
approvato con R. C. 28 luglio 1932 u136/xx. 9

T.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

del compartimento marittimo (o and not an a at the end of marittimo)
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

con la classe and not classes
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

could the word after "dichiarazione di" be resistenza?? I don't see the dot for the letter i, but am still wondering if that is the word.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Thanks, ladies.

What are your thoughts on the first missing word being "periodo", thus making the first phrase, "Arruolato quale inscritto di leva del compartimento marittima(?) di Reggio Calabria con la classes 1895 per la periodo di anni tre" - Enlisted with the class of 1895 for a period of three years? Keeping in mind that he should have been drafted with "the class of 1891" however he was in the US at the time.

If the word truly is periodo, then the missing word in the next phrase appears to also begin with a "p".
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

About the word being periodo. Carmine, I had thought about that possibility, as it would make sense. The reason I rejected it was because of the article "la" in front of it for the word "the." It would have to be "il" if periodo was the correct word, as "periodo" is a masculine/neuter noun and should have "il" and not "la" in front of it. The word in front of it does not look like "il."
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

...whatever the last word is "resistenza". =Peter=
~Peter~
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

maestra36 wrote:could the word after "dichiarazione di" be resistenza?? I don't see the dot for the letter i, but am still wondering if that is the word.
Peter, I said about the word being resistenza in my post above.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

i wrote to confirm your comments with respect to "Resistenza "not to intiate any discussion. =Peter=
~Peter~
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Carmine, :)

I would agree that the word looks like "periodo" and makes sense ...

And the next line could be "permanento"

edit: typo...meant to type "permanendo"

T.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

no such word as permanento. Also the word in the document does not end in "nento" The second n is not in the word in the document.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Riceviato in congedo illimitato

The correct word is Rinviato
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

maestra36 wrote:About the word being periodo. Carmine, I had thought about that possibility, as it would make sense. The reason I rejected it was because of the article "la" in front of it for the word "the." It would have to be "il" if periodo was the correct word, as "periodo" is a masculine/neuter noun and should have "il" and not "la" in front of it. The word in front of it does not look like "il."
I knew you were going to say that. :)

But, would "la perioda" work?

A google translation of the frist two phrases would then read (approximately), "Enlisted as inscribed in the list of the maritime district of Reggio Calabria with the 1895 class for the period of three years, which were added since the declaration of permanent resistance"

I presume in this case "declaration of permanent resistance" means declaration of war.

These first two phrases are dated November 19, 1915. The next line with the single word beginning with "Mar..." is dated two days later, November 21, 1915. The next line ("Riceviato in congedo illimitato") is dated April 16, 1918.
Carmine