Naturalization-name and date issue

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
hollyolly7
Rookie
Rookie

Naturalization-name and date issue

Post by hollyolly7 »

Hi everyone,

I got my ggf's naturalization record a couple of weeks ago and wanted to know 2 things:

1) My GGF was born Giovanni but on the certificate it's John. I'm currently translating it and there's a part that says "...that the said petition is signed with his full true name;" Does this mean that it was legally changed?
I remember someone saying that on the naturalization record if they went by another name there was a space to write it in. Here I don't see it.

If he legally changed his name who can I contact to get this information? It would be for either Brooklyn or Manhattan.

2) My grandmother, listed as the last of his 6 kids has her birthday 1 day off. Could this a problem?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Naturalization-name and date issue

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Birthdays often seem to be off by a day or two. Whether or not it is a problem depends on what side of the bed the consulate citizenship officer got up from that morning and whether or not he/she had a good breakfast. :)

If the naturalization was after 1911 (1912?), there should have been a Certificate of Arrival. Either way, you should find on the petition and also on the decalartion of intent words to the effect of, "I emigrated to the United States from ______. My lawful entry for permanent residence was at ______ under the name of ____________..."

If the "under the name of" part says Giovanni and the rest of the document says John, then that is as perfect as you can hope for. Nevertheless, I don't think there was any other form of legal name change that took place and, unless tje consulate official had a huge fight with his/her spouse that morning, it probably won't be a problem.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

johnnyonthespot wrote:Birthdays often seem to be off by a day or two. Whether or not it is a problem depends on what side of the bed the consulate citizenship officer got up from that morning and whether or not he/she had a good breakfast.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Just turn the statue of St. Anthony upside down and buy a lottery ticket!=Peter=
~Peter~