I need help translating Serafino Polizzi Birth Record???

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
trundo
Rookie
Rookie

I need help translating Serafino Polizzi Birth Record???

Post by trundo »

Can anyone translate Serafino Polizzi's birth record, page 1 and 2?
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: I need help translating Serafino Polizzi Birth Record???

Post by maestra36 »

The record is dated Jan 1, 1851 at 3 P.M. in the town of Agira in the district of Nicosia. (Dottore) Domenico Ceraulo was the mayor and official of the civil state of that town.

The presentation of the newborn was made by a midwife named Agata Timpanara, age 73. She presented a male infant who had been born to Grazia (last name ?) in Polizzi. Grazia was age 36 and living there in the S. Pietro district. Her husband was Giuseppe Polizzi, age 40, a farmer. The male infant had been born in their house on Dec 30th 1850 at 2 P.M. He was baptized in the parish of S. Pietro on Jan 1st (this info is in the right column of the record)
The witnesses were produced by the midwife:
1. ? (can't read the first name) Timpanara, age 36, a farmer
2. Mariano Taravella, age 40, a farmer
Both ere living there.

None of them knew how to write. Only the town official signed his name.

Domenico (then the abbreviation for Dottore) Ceraulo
The Mayor
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Mother's maiden name may be Laneri.
trundo
Rookie
Rookie

Re: I need help translating Polizzi Family Documents???

Post by trundo »

Thank you maestra36 for the translation. I have a few more that I would like to be translated. Giuseppe Polizzi and Grazia Lauceri - parents to Serafino Polizzi. Can anyone translate these Marriage documents?

Thanks,

Tom
trundo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by trundo »

Here is the 4th page to the other 3 pages of Polizzi and Lauceri maariage documents.

Thanks,

Tom
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

In left column is the Solemn Promise to Celebrate Marriage-record #39 dated Nov 21, 1847 at 11 P.M. Town of Aggira (town currently is spelled with only one g), District of Nicosia, Province of Catania

Groom: Giuseppe Polizzzi, widower, age 37, born in Troina, district of Nicosia, Prov of Catania, shepherd (pastore) living in Aggira. He was the son of Domenico (deceased) who had been a shepherd in Troina and Angela Impellizzeri, age 60, living in Troina

Bride: Orazia Lauceri, single, age 33, born in Aggira, living in S. Antonino district. She was the daughter of Paolo, deceased, who had been a notary living at one time there, and Giuseppa Galati, age 60, who was living there

Right column-indication to celebrate marriage #39
dated Nov 24th 1847 in the Parish of S. Antonino celebration of marriage took place on the 23rd in the presence of witnesses (Maestro) Tomaso Sacribino (spelling ??) and Maestro Giuseppe Assinnata.

I am sending you a link to help you understand the format of the record.

In the section to the left, there is also a list of the documents the couple needed for their marriage including their birth records, death record of former spouse, death records of the fathers-this list is cut off

both mothers were present to give their consent to the marriage

there is a list of 4 witnesses but that list is cut off-

Basically the section with the parish information talks about how the parish priest was sent copies of the solemn promise from the town official. Once he performed the church ceremony, and filled in the information about the church ceremony, he sent back one of the copies to the town official who then recorded the information in his volume of documents on page 298.

To help you follow the format of these records, you may use the following link:

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Peg/Desktop/extraction%20guide.htm
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Peg,

Your link wasn't working... :-(

Here's the link again :-D

Record Extraction Guide
http://familyhistory.byu.edu/Downloads/ ... efault.htm

T.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Thanks, T. This time, I had it on my desktop so that I could find it and still needed you to come to my rescue.
Peg
trundo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by trundo »

Thank you maestra36 and Tessa78...

I am trying to understand the 4 pages I posted.

Page 1 is the Solemn Promise with Groom and Bride info
Page 2 - ???
Page 3 - ???
Page 4 looks to be 'Right column-indication to celebrate marriage #39'

I am guessing that page 2 and 3 are the list of documents needed for marriage. Correct?

You mention 'death record of former spouse, death records of the fathers-this list is cut off' in your translation. Which page is that and what was the name of the deceased former spouse?

Tom
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Tom

Page 2

The top written section has to do with the consents for marriage

The middle written section with the notification of the marriage which was posted prior to it to insure there was no opposition to the marriage

The bottom section of page 2 is where there is the list of documents required for the marriage.

1. birth act of the groom
2. birth act of the bride
3. death act of the first wife of the groom-looks like her name was Nunzia Manitto but I am not 100% sure about her maiden name.

That is all I can read on page 2-

Page 3 starts with # 7 in the list of documents, so numbers 4, 5, and 6 have been cut off

#7 at the top of page 3 -states that the act of notification did not result in any opposition to the marriage

the printed section below that speaks about the spouses, one after the other, promising to celebrate their marriage before the Church in accordance with the limits prescribed by the Sacred Council of Trent*

*Around 1545, the Council of Trent had come into existence and prescribed what the individual parishes had to teach and do with respect to births, deaths, and marriages in their parishes. For one thing, it dictated that they start keeping registers for each of these events. Also it dictated to the churches what they had to teach as far as the Catholic religion was concerned and, in terms of marriage, the format of a church marriage ceremony.

Page 4-I can only see info for the last witness who was Antonino Bruno, age 23, agricoltore (farmer). There is info for the witness above him, but his name is cut off. Normally there are 4 witnesses on the solemn promise.

The bottom of page 4-the handwritten part talks about who signed the document below. The mayor, the groom, and one of the witnesses signed. I don't know if he is the witness whose info is visible at the top of page 4. The bride and the mothers of the spouses did not know how to write and did not sign the document.

Hope that helps you.
Peg

Peg
trundo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by trundo »

Hi Peg,

Thank you for the clarification.

I believe the new uploaded image is Nunzia's death record. I can make out Giusseppe but of course I don't know italian to translate. Can you translate this for me? Not sure on the maiden name either.

Also is there any software that you use to capture the text from the image so that it translates it or are you fluent in Italian and you just translate it as you read it?

Thanks,

Tom
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Tom
I have been researching Italian state civil records from microfilm since March of 1997. I studied Italian for 4 semesters in college many many years ago and then didn't use it until I started doing the research back then. I learned how to decipher the handwriting on my own and just increased my vocabulary as I kept working with the records. I have done research for myself and some relatives off of microfilm in about 20 towns. So I translate as I go without the aid of any internet translator. Some of the handwriting is easier to decipher than others.

Also I do save the images posted here to a photo program while I am working on them which allows me to zoom in on the images. Then I delete them afterwards.

I'll see what I can do with this record, but it is a death record for Nunzia and it does appear that her last name is Manitto or Manitta.
trundo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by trundo »

Peg,

Thank you so much for ALL your help.

Let me know what you find out.

Thanks,

Tom
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Right now I am stuck on the mayor's last name and the last name of the two informants.

Record #144 dated Aug 3, 1847 at noon.

Appearing before the mayor and official of the civil state of the town of Agira, district of Nicosia, Province of Catania were two informants:
1. Orazio F, age 39, a farmer. He was living in the town in the district of S. Antonino
2. Oranzio P, age 37, also a farmer. living in the district of S. Margherita

Both declared that at 9 a.m. today, in her own house, Nunzia Manitto had died. She was age ? (the second digit is the number of 6 (it may be ventisei for 26), but I am not sure. She was the daughter of deceased Giuseppe, a farmer, who lived in Troina when he was alive, and the daughter of deceased Maria di Franco who also lived there when she was alive.

The bottom of the record is standard format for death records. The town official, together with the witnesses in order to execute the law, transferred the body of the deceased, having recognized that she was, in fact, dead.

He formulated the present act, recorded it above the two registers, gave a reading of it to the informants and indicated the year, month, and day above, and that it was signed by the town officials. There is a notation to the right of the stamp which indicates that the copy conformed to the original and was to be used for the marriage.

If I figure out the three surnames in this record, I will let you know.
trundo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by trundo »

Does it indicate that she was married to Giuseppe Polizzi? Or had any children?
Cause of Death?

Could Oranzio P be Oranzio Polizzi? And Orazio F be Orazio di Franco?
Taking a guess here.