Death record translation

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
KMaryP
Rookie
Rookie

Death record translation

Post by KMaryP »

Hi all! Can someone please translate for me the primary information in the linked death record? How old was Maria and what were the circumstances of her death?

Also, is anyone aware of a list of translations for commonly used terms in death, birth, and marriage records?

Thanks!

Maria Palladini death record
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Death record translation

Post by Tessa78 »

Maria was 7 years old.
Died 27 January 1879 at 4 AM
Daughter of Giovanni, a peasant farmer, and Luisa Finatori (sp?), also a peasant farmer.

Cause of death is not usually given on Italian morti, and I don't see one here...

To help you become more familiar with the documents... :-)
http://familyhistory.byu.edu/Downloads/ ... efault.htm

T.
KMaryP
Rookie
Rookie

Post by KMaryP »

Thank you very much, Tessa. The reference you provided is very helpful.
KMaryP
Rookie
Rookie

Post by KMaryP »

Can someone please check my translation of the linked document?

Gio Bombiani death

Died Aug 6, 1879
Age 6 yrs
parents Antonio and Angela Paliani

Also, am I reading correctly that the record lists the age of the official documenting the death, the subject, and the witnesses, but not the parents? Is there any other info I should be getting from this record?

Thanks!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

I see the date of death as 9 April 1879.
The date of the document/declaration is April 10.

There is no age given for the official, or the parents.
There IS an age given for the two "declarants" and the two "witnesses.

You are correct about the age, and the parents' names.

T.
KMaryP
Rookie
Rookie

Post by KMaryP »

Tessa, thank you again. I see now April 10th. That just goes to show how careful one must be while translating these documents.

If you don't mind, can you explain the role of declarants and witnesses?
KMaryP
Rookie
Rookie

Post by KMaryP »

I'm really doubting the ages I've translated on these 2 death certs. The first one is 77 yrs and the other is 74. My ancestors in the early-mid 1900s rarely lived past 50; it doesn't seem like they would've lived longer in the mid-late 1800s! Can someone double-check me?

Thanks!

Maria Palladini 2

Marianna Palladini
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

In answer to your question about "declarants" and "witnesses"..

The declarants appeared at the town hall before the official to declare or announce the death. The witnesses were actually witnesses to the declaration.
As to the ages in your death certs . above...
Maria was 77 as you translated.
Marianna was 64 (sessantaquattro)

T.

Edited to reflect Livio's explanation.
KMaryP
Rookie
Rookie

Post by KMaryP »

Thank you again, Tessa. If I haven't worn you out yet...

Can you verify the first few sentences roughly translate "in the year ___ on __ day of ___ month, in the town hall before myself (official's name), (declarants names & ages) declared to me at the hour of __ and __ minutes, at the house located at ___, John Doe died". Does that sound about right?

I've been assuming the date in the first line is the date of death since it's the only date given. Now that I've translated it, it appears that is the date the declarants announced the death at town hall and may not necessarily be the day the person died. Is that true or am I just looking at it too hard?

I can't wait to start on the marriage records! :lol:
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

You are correct :-)

The date of death may not be the same as the date of the document/declaration.

The morte for Giovanni above is dated 10 April 1879, but the death occured "ieri" (yesterday) which would make it the 9th.

Your translation of the first few sentences in most death records is correct, but you may encounter variations.

T.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Tessa78 wrote:In answer to your question about "declarants" and "witnesses"..

The declarants appeared at the town hall before the official to declare or announce the death. The witnesses were actually witnesses to the death.

T.
The witnesses are witnesses to the act (declaration) not to the death, the sentence in Italian reads: " A quest'atto sono stati presenti quali testimoni..."
KMaryP
Rookie
Rookie

Post by KMaryP »

Tessa78 wrote:"ieri" (yesterday)
Such a tiny little word but very important! Thanks for pointing that out. I do see it now in some of my death records.

Livio, thank you for your inputs. This is so interesting!!!!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

liviomoreno wrote: The witnesses are witnesses to the act (declaration) not to the death, the sentence in Italian reads: " A quest'atto sono stati presenti quali testimoni..."
Thanks Livio :-D

I learned something from you yet again...
I appreciate the clarification! :-)

T.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

T
When you look through civil death records on microfilm, you will find the same witnesses serving over and over on records for a given year. The reason is that these witnesses would hang around the town halls and serve as witnesses as needed. It is my understanding that they were paid to serve in that capacity. As Livio stated, they were not witnesses to a death but only to the act concerning the death that was formulated by the town official once the death had been reported to him.
Peg
KMaryP
Rookie
Rookie

Post by KMaryP »

Wow, I hadn't noticed that. But for one exception, the same two people are listed as witnesses on all of my death records, which span 5 years, and a marriage record.

Interestingly, the same declarant is listed on all 6 of the Palladini death records I found on microfilm. He accompanied the deceased's father to Town Hall, except in two cases where the individuals were quite old. Would that indicate that he was a close friend of the family or that he hung around Town Hall like the witnesses?