Help with Birth Record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
lbernard3
Rookie
Rookie

Help with Birth Record

Post by lbernard3 »

This belongs to my gg-uncle, Giuseppe Canada. He was raised by my gg-grandmother (his "foster mom"). The father, either biological or adopted, is not on the record. The surname Canada was a fantasy surname. I am hoping that translating this paragraph from the birth record will shed some light on how and/or why he was given to my GG-grandmother to be raised.

Thank you.

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/9627 ... 4at944.png
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Help with Birth Record

Post by Tessa78 »

Hello :-)

It would be helpful to see the whole record to establish the pronoun references, otherwise it's hard to tell who is doing/requesting what.

The gist of the paragraph is that the child was abandoned (lasciare), and that someone promised to assume the rearing and custody/guardianship (promettenda di assumere l'allevamente e la custodia).

T.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

It was the informant in the reocrd, la dichiarante (a woman), to whom custody and care of the infant was given. It says that "to the stated infant was imposed the name Giuseppe and the last name Canada. It also says that the objects described above were deposited in this office of the civil state (these records describe everything that is left with the abandoned child-what the child was wrapped in, wearing, whether the infant had a medal or ribbon pinned to its clothes, any identifying marks on its body, etc, . All of these objects were deposited and recorded in the town upon the presentation of the abandoned child at the town hall. The reason for this was that, in those days, there was no DNA, so if the natural parents came back to reclaim the child, they would have to go to a town notary and describe everything that had been left with that child when it was abandoned in order to prove that the child was theirs.

Anyway, it was the person who was the informant in this record (a woman) who had a petition (istanza) asking that she be given custody of the child. Custody was granted to her, as there was no opposition to her request.
lbernard3
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lbernard3 »

Thank you all for your help.
I have each section of the birth record at home, so I will post them later - after work.
Please check back. I appreciate all of your help.

Lou
Researching family surnames are Bernardo/Robilotta from Gallicchio, Basilicata.
lbernard3
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lbernard3 »

Here is the complete birth record. It was listed in Part II of the Atti di Nascita, 1885, from Gallichio, Potenza, Basilicata. The record is in 4 parts -it was the best way to get a good screen shot - sorry.

1 - this was the margin, I don't know if it is necessary
http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/3994 ... 2at102.png

2 - Most of the first paragraph
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/3994 ... 2at102.png

3 - End of first paragraph and the second paragraph
http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/401/sc ... 5at939.png

4 - Last paragraph and signatures
http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/401/ ... 5at939.png

Thanks to anyone who can help.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Was your GGGM's name Rosa Vomero or Vamero?

T.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Rosa was the person who found the male infant on her doorstep at 10 P.M. yesterday-record is dated on the 25th of May 1885, so she found him on the night of the 24th- with all the objects described on page 1 of the record near him. He was about 4 days old. Her house was located at #9 via Bertani (sp?). Rosa was a peasant/farmer, age 47, and was living in Gallicchio. So she was the person who was given custody of the infant.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I should clarify that the record reads that he was of "the apparent age of four days."

With abandoned children, their ages were a guess on the part of the person who discovered them. In many of these records, you will find that the infant appeared to be a day old. This is the first time I have seen a record where the infant appeared to be 4 days old.
lbernard3
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lbernard3 »

My GGMother was Rosa Vomero.

I wonder if she knew the mother of the child? Thus accounting for knowing that the baby was 4 days old.

What are "with all the objects described on page 1 of the record near him"? Where is that record?

Thank you.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Lou :-)

From the first paragraph of the page 1:
"presso cui si trovano un panalino burso e panalini numero tre;
una fascia di colore bianco, con fiore (?) rosso i quali
lo avvolgevano"

- nearby was found a "diaper" bag and three "diapers; a white strip with a red flower? (not sure about the word in the document) which was used to wrap him...

T.
lbernard3
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lbernard3 »

What does the note in the margin mean?

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/3994 ... 2at102.png

Thanks to all who have helped.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Seen and verified by the official. (Visto e verificato)

T.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Tessa78 wrote:Seen and verified by the official. (Visto e verificato)

T.
Just to add to what T stated above, it was seen and verified the 11th of May
lbernard3
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lbernard3 »

Thank you all so much.

Lou
lbernard3
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lbernard3 »

One Last Note On This Issue:

Based on what you have seen of the above images (posted on Sept. 8), and what you have read in the translations that people have offered, is there anything left in the record that gives me more info. of my family or of Giuseppe and his situation?

Again thank you all for your time, energy and help in this matter. It has truly been enlightening and educational. Thank you.

Lou :-)