Cascarino/lanni

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mazzie

Cascarino/lanni

Post by mazzie »

I am trying to trace more information on my Italian ancestors. The Lanni's came from Cassino and settled in Worcester UKand sold ice cream. My grand father Gaetano Cascarino (pronounced Cascarina) came from Naples and also sold ice cream in Worcester, after marrying in to the Lanni family. I know my great grandfather was Tomaso (or Tommaso) Lanni and his wife was Francesca Melarangni (not quite sure of the spelling there). The Cascarino line is more difficult to trace because the only thing I know is that his father was called Francesco and all my Italian relatives have passed away long ago.

If anyone else comes from the same family and has more information than I do. I would be pleased to here from you.
stuartcapaldi
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Cascarino/lanni

Post by stuartcapaldi »

Mazzie

You will find both Lanni and Cascarino names in the Val di Comino area 15 minutes drive north east of Cassino.

Registration comune are Picinisco, Villa Latina, Atina & San Biagio Saracinisco.

I have a Cascarino name in my family tree check out my web site for information and which villages are in these comune

www.capaldi-clan.com
Stuart Capaldi
Tomo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Tomo »

Mazzie,
Some of my relatives are named Lanni by marriage, they were also from Cassino but settled in Birmingham UK.
The surname still survives, and they are still living in Birmingham.
The oldest living relative is I think 92, she married a Lanni, she and her descendants could be related.
If I can help, get back to me.
Steve
Marchione Laurentini Castellucci Capobianco from Sora Italy
mazzie

Post by mazzie »

Stuart, You and I have been in contact before a few years back. Thanks for your tips. I was the one who told you my mother had a cousin called Nick Capaldi in Jimmy Shand's band.
Steve, I would expect the Birmingham Lanni's to be related somehow. Is Lanni a common name?
Emmy
Master
Master

Post by Emmy »

Hi Mazzie
The surname Lanni is in the Sant'elia Fiumerapido records too.

Emmy
mazzie

Post by mazzie »

Thanks Emmy.
Tomo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Tomo »

Mazzie,
As far as I know it's not common, they have changed the spelling though to Lannie.
My 92 year old aunt would be able to provide further information.
I guess a quick look at the BT search for the surname will give you a better clue, I've met some of them, and I can pass on the link to them?
Steve
jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Post by jamiecapaldi »

There was a Maria Carmine Lanni who married Antonio Fionda in Bristol who was God son to my Capaldi Family.

Is she any connection?
NAMES: Capaldi-Tedesco-Tamilio-Minchella-Verrecchia-Tomasso-Franchitto-Innelli-Arpino-Caringi-Colacicco-Macari-Pinchera-Salera-D'Orazio-Ambrosino-Di Mambro-Sigliocolo-Masello
PLACES: Cassino- UK, USA, Ireland, Canada & Australia
http://www.cassino-families.co.uk
jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Post by jamiecapaldi »

I think the family then moved upto Middlesborough?
NAMES: Capaldi-Tedesco-Tamilio-Minchella-Verrecchia-Tomasso-Franchitto-Innelli-Arpino-Caringi-Colacicco-Macari-Pinchera-Salera-D'Orazio-Ambrosino-Di Mambro-Sigliocolo-Masello
mazzie

Post by mazzie »

Steve, I am in contact with the Granddaughter of one of my Lanni great uncles and I was in contact with Mary Flynn, who is the granddaughter of Francesco Lanni/Lannie but, unfortunately, she passed away a few months ago.

I have not heard the name Maria Carmine Lanni mentioned but I expect that most of the Cassino Lanni's are related to me in some distant way.

Steve you are lucky to still have your aunt. All of my Italian relatives have passed away. My mother lived to be 85 but her Lannie cousins died in their fifties I believe. I've been to the graves at Astwood cemetary in Worcester (the Cascarino graves are there too).

My great Aunt Petronilla Lanni emigrated to the USA so I expect there will be descendants of hers in the states (I think she lived in Boston).

I also had two half aunts from my gran's first marriage and their surname was Vettese. One of them, Rosa, lost contact with the family after a family disagreement but I can find no trace of her after that (it would have been about 1918). I would love to know what happened to her.

We had relatives in Scotland also but I'm not sure if they were Cascarino's on Lanni's.
jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Post by jamiecapaldi »

There were Cascarino's and Lanni Families working as ice cream traders in scotland.

I have a Francesca Lanni in my family tree from Cassino, Italy.
Tomo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Tomo »

Mazzie,
My Aunt's maiden Name is Maria C Laurentini, who married Lois (Luigi) Lanni, she is the surviving 92 year old. Their son is Peter Lanni, whom I recently have been in contact to both.
Maria (Mary is living in Selly Oak Birmingham).

Steve
mazzie

Post by mazzie »

How strange Steve. Up until July 2003 I was working in Bournville Lane police station (close to Selly Oak) and I was not aware there was a Lanni so close by.

It doesn't surprise me that the Lanni's AND the Cascarino's were working in Scotland. Our Italian ancesters were certainly nomadic, something I seem to have inherited. I've moved 24 times in 40 years and lived in different counties.
jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Post by jamiecapaldi »

Mazzie, i am interested to know a little about Nick Capaldi, your mums cousin?
Could you tell please me who was his parents or siblings?
mazzie

Post by mazzie »

The only thing I know about him is that he played accordian and was in Jimmy Shand's band. I was made to listen to the show on the radio as a nipper. I have no knowledge of who his family were. He lived in Scotland. I'm sorry that I can't be more helpful.