Irish/ Italian connection

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
mags01

Irish/ Italian connection

Post by mags01 »

Hi everyone :) this is my first message so hope I'm in the right place.

I was always told by my mother that my 3xgr. grandfather (her fathers side) was from Cork in Ireland and that he married an Italian woman.
I can trace mum's mother's family back to Germany via Portsmouth, England, but cannot get so far with her father's side.
Found this site and thought I'd tackle it from a different angle, but still don't know how to go about it :?
The family name is Moody I'm assuming he travelled to Italy in the early 1800's where he met his Italian senorita, but I don't know anymore at this stage.
Any ideas?? would love to hear from anyone with any (polite) :lol: suggestions
grazie
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Irish/ Italian connection

Post by johnnyonthespot »

mags01 wrote:The family name is Moody I'm assuming he travelled to Italy in the early 1800's where he met his Italian senorita, but I don't know anymore at this stage.
Aack!

Senorita = Spanish

Signorina = Italian

:)
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Post by jamiecapaldi »

Your mums fathers name please?
NAMES: Capaldi-Tedesco-Tamilio-Minchella-Verrecchia-Tomasso-Franchitto-Innelli-Arpino-Caringi-Colacicco-Macari-Pinchera-Salera-D'Orazio-Ambrosino-Di Mambro-Sigliocolo-Masello
PLACES: Cassino- UK, USA, Ireland, Canada & Australia
http://www.cassino-families.co.uk
mags01

Post by mags01 »

johnnyonthespot wrote:
mags01 wrote:The family name is Moody I'm assuming he travelled to Italy in the early 1800's where he met his Italian senorita, but I don't know anymore at this stage.
Aack!

Senorita = Spanish

Signorina = Italian

:)
ooh Carmine, so sorry :( - in the back of my muddled brain I knew it was wrong but I was going with the flow of my registration message which surprisingly (to me) was in Spanish. :roll:
thanks for keeping me on track Margaret
mags01

Post by mags01 »

jamiecapaldi wrote:Your mums fathers name please?
thankyou for taking the time to contact me.
My mum's father was Christopher William MOODY b. 1883 in Moonta, Sth Australia. His parents - Frederick William MOODY & Elizabeth Clara Batchelor.
matbre2

Post by matbre2 »

Moonta, Burra & Wallaroo are three country towns in South Australia where many Cornish miners from the UK came to make their fortune in the Copper Mines. The 1850's were the Boom years.

All three towns are between 2-3 hours drive north of Adelaide.

I had a chuckle at your senorita, remark as Australians have a tendency to get European terms mixed up, myself included.
mags01

Post by mags01 »

Hi matbre2
welcome to Italian Geanealogy! and thanks for friendly comments.
I've had many a holiday in Adelaide as a kid, but haven't been to any of these three towns, as no-one was particularly interested in family history in those days. have learned much about my mum's family through Burra Historical Society website.
matbre2

Post by matbre2 »

Hi Mags01,

Welcome to this forum as well and thanks for your comments also.
I have just got off the phone to my parents who actually live in Burra, and as luck would have it for you, my father works as a volunteer for the historical society in Burra. My mother also is a volunteer at the art gallery and information centre.

My Dad regularly updates some records for the society, so if you want to know anything at all contact me through my e-mail on my profile. You never know we may be able to help you.

Have a Great Day!
mags01

Post by mags01 »

Wow matbre2, how good is that, thankyou :D
There must be a great community spirit in Burra, they do a great job. Most helpful site I've been on.
matbre2

Post by matbre2 »

Yes there is a very good community spirit in Burra, however it is a town that is dying a slow death. Many of the people that live there are now are retired as all the young ones are moving towards suburbia for work.