finding someone entering australia

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
emira

finding someone entering australia

Post by emira »

Hi I'm trying to find someone entering australia I have them leaving Australia 1935 but can't find any record of him entering it. Had a lot of help from all of you but once again I am stuck. I just keep going round in circles (story of my life lol), Name Ernest Cassinelli b.1898. Thank you all for your kind help
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: finding someone entering australia

Post by PeterTimber »

CDid you try www.blaxland.com or www.naa.com.au? =Peter=
~Peter~
emira

Post by emira »

no i didn't, i really don't know where you get all these sites from? will give it a go thanks once again
emira

Post by emira »

hi peter
tried the first one no luck unfortunately, but the second one took me to a nursing site?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Emira, do I recall correctly that Ernest entered Australia as a prisoner destined for a penal colony? (or, am I just imagining that...)

If so, perhaps the UK archives has records pertaining to such matters.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Say, when was Ernest born?

Look at what I found; could this be him?

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/docu ... Id=7193934

Description Name Cassinelli, Ernest
Official Number: J76017
Place of Birth: Sheffield, Yorkshire
Date 09 December 1898
Catalogue reference ADM 188/799
Dept Records of the Admiralty, Naval Forces, Royal Marines, Coastguard, and related bodies
Series Admiralty: Royal Navy Registers of Seamen's Services
Piece 76001-76500
Image contains 1 document of many for this catalogue reference
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
emira

Post by emira »

Hi johnny

thanks for that we do have the original document for that. This is a copy of what i have received from wakefield archives. Now i need to find what date he entered australia and if i can what asylum he was in. thanks for trying and info though.much appreciated.

In regards to your request for patient information for Ernest Cassinelli a patient at Storthes Hall Hospital; I can confirm that Ernest Cassinelli -his occupation given as General Labourer and aged 40 at admission - was a patient at that hospital between the 30 August 1939 when he was admitted there and the 30 July 1968 when he died at that hospital age 69. Unfortunately his place of burial is unknown.

It was found that he had previously been deported from Australia and had landed at Southampton on the 3 June 1935 - having been in a mental hospital in Australia (no details given) It appears that he was originally received in June 1935 at Park Prewett Mental Hospital, Basingstoke, Hampshire, before being moved to the Sheffield County Borough area. He was then received at Wadsley Asylum (date uncertain) before later being transferred to Storthes Hall in 1939.

It is possible that we may hold further information in regards to Ernest Cassinelli. Unfortunately any further information is exempt from disclosure under section 41 of the Freedom of Information Act 2000. Section 41 relates to information provided in confidence, such as medical records.

If you are requesting personal information about a deceased relative, you may be able to obtain some information by providing proof of your identity and the familial relationship. If you would like to continue further we would require proof of your identity and permission in this case from the patient’s personal representative – in the first instance this would be the executor of the will of Ernest Cassinelli.

If this person is also deceased then we would also need proof of your familial relationship to Ernest Cassinelli in addition to your proof of identity. We would also require letters of permission from anyone with a higher claim than yourself to any patient information (such as surviving siblings or children etc). If these individuals are also deceased then we would require copies of their death certificates as proof of this – photocopies or printed scanned images of certificates are acceptable in this case. If you do have any further questions in this regard, however, please do not hesitate to get in touch with us.
carolinechurch
Veteran
Veteran

Post by carolinechurch »

Emira, where did he leave Australia from? Melbourne or Sydney?
Searching for my great x3 grandfather Raffaele CIACCIA, also known as Raphael/Ralph CHURCH. He was born in Napoli around 1792 and arrived in London before 1812 with his brother Saverio CIACCIA, where they married sisters Ann and Jane FURNEAUX. He switched between CHURCH and CIACCIA all his life, which has made it difficult enough to pin him down. I want to find his origin in Italy.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

carolinechurch wrote:Emira, where did he leave Australia from? Melbourne or Sydney?
Caroline - looks like Sydney. See my first post in this other thread: http://italiangenealogy.com/Forums/view ... art=0.html
Carmine

carolinechurch
Veteran
Veteran

Post by carolinechurch »

I wonder if there is any way of finding out any details of his deportation through Australian Immigration.

I have come across a very interesting book, but the preview on Google only covers the first 40 odd pages. The author is an Australian university lecturer, easily contactable and may be able to suggest how to research this part of his story?
http://books.google.co.nz/books?id=dRQc ... &q&f=false
Searching for my great x3 grandfather Raffaele CIACCIA, also known as Raphael/Ralph CHURCH. He was born in Napoli around 1792 and arrived in London before 1812 with his brother Saverio CIACCIA, where they married sisters Ann and Jane FURNEAUX. He switched between CHURCH and CIACCIA all his life, which has made it difficult enough to pin him down. I want to find his origin in Italy.
Leanne82
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Leanne82 »

Hi There,

I have found on the Natioal Archives of Australia's website a listing for Ernest Cassinelli, not sure if this is your ancestor. You will need to pay to view these records (approx. $16) and you'll be able to download the files.

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve ... etail.aspx

Hope this helps.
Cheers

Leanne