No certificates

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

No certificates

Post by sceaminmonkey »

All i am being told is to try different places. My question is if I can not find Italian certificates including baptismal records what are my options can I make a case with the consulate can I hire an Italian lawyer? What can I do?All the suggestions are excellent but i am not hopeful . What are the options ?
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: No certificates

Post by ricbru »

italian law says you need to have your ancestor birth certificate, or birth record, or bapt certificate. Military draft card or military record are not acceptable, but they are a starting point if you dont know the right dates, places, and names.
If none of those above are available, there is nothing that can be done.
Beware to who promises you there is a way, because there is not.
I hope it helps bye
Riccardo
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

Is it possible to have a birth record recreated based on the military record as I have been told by others
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Well, I remember once the State Archive of Florence didn't issued a photocopy of a birth record, but transcribed it somehow.
A birth record can not be recreated from a military document.
Usually who certificates a birth is the civil record office.
This question needs to be asked to the archivist, if they can state that, from the military draft card your ancestor name is.......and he was born on.......at......and his parents names are..........
I dont know if the archive would do it, and also I don't know if italian consulate there in USA would accept a document stating the birth infos of your ancestor, and this document is not a birth certificate or record or bapt certificate.
What I would suggest you is to contact your italian consulate and ask if it would accept that kind of statement (if any) from state archive
I hope it helps
bye Riccardo
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

You can try looking in France or some other EU country. Without an Italian birth certificate, there is just no proof that your GGF was born in Italy. He may have lived there from a very young age but that doesn't mean he was born there. People did move around from country to country back in those days.
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Post by ForzaItaliaPgh »

You might also see if another line of descent is possible to trace. Some people might have more than one ancestor that qualifies them for citizenship.
Researching BARONTINI family from Tuscany
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

no my great grandmother does not apply this is it.