Ship Record

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
lanyhuis

Ship Record

Post by lanyhuis »

I now have the correct name of my grandfather which I never knew. He says that he arrived in New Orleans on October 25, 1899 but I can find no record of him anywhere.

His proper name was Leoluca LA RIZZA
However, in the states it was changed to RIZZO

Any suggestions. I'm sure he could have been wrong about the date that he arrived but all of his papers say it was New Orleans. Also I am trying to find out if his mother, NICOLINA SAPORITO, born approx 1853 ever entered the U.S. :?: :?:
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Ship Record

Post by maestra36 »

I see on ancestry.com that there is someone with the name Luccio Larizzo on a passenger list for New Orleans. I don't, however, have a subscription to ancestry.com, so I can't access the manifest. Possibly this is your ancestor and someone else on this forum who does have a subscription can check on that for you.
lanyhuis

Post by lanyhuis »

I have checked him out and he isn't my guy. Thanks for looking
williamsburger
Rookie
Rookie

Post by williamsburger »

lanyhuis wrote:Also I am trying to find out if his mother, NICOLINA SAPORITO, born approx 1853 ever entered the U.S. :?: :?:
Dear Lany,

According to the Ellis Island website, your greatgrandmother arrived in 1907:

Given Name Nicolina
Surname Saporito
Last Place of Residence Corleone, Sicily
Date of Arrival 10 Aug 1907
Age at Arrival 46y
Ethnicity Italy, South
Port of Departure Palermo
Port of Arrival New-York
Gender Female
Marital Status M
US Citizen
Ship of Travel Europa
lnyhuis

Post by lnyhuis »

That would be her maiden name. I believe women, even today, go by their maiden name in Sicily (Italy). So he must have died before 1907 and she came alone. It's possible :o
williamsburger
Rookie
Rookie

Post by williamsburger »

Lany,

My great-grandmother (albeit not from Sicily) came on her own in 1922. Her manifest lists her maiden name, even though she was married and my great-grandfather was already in the country. I think it was to keep records clear, so it's possible your great-grandfather immigrated as well.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Then and now, an Italian woman's legal name is always the name she was given at birth. Italian women do not take on their husband's surname upon marrying. Even my wife of 29 years, who is Irish-English-Sweedish, has an Italian passport in her maiden name (she is a dual citizen based on my own jus sanguinis application).

Regarding manifests, married Italian women when traveling without their husbands (and sometimes with) are usually (but not always) found listed under their maiden names. If the woman is traveling with her children, you might expect to see:

Smith, Mary
Jones, Billy - son
Jones, Judy - daughter
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)