I need a book on Calabria

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
DonnaPellegrin
Veteran
Veteran

I need a book on Calabria

Post by DonnaPellegrin »

Just finished reading a book titled, The Most Monstrous of Wars: The Napoleonic Guerrilla War in Southern Italy, 1806-1811 by Milton Finley

The book is out of print but I was able to get a copy through interlibrary loan. I found the book highly useful. It is written by a college professor and it is scholarly in nature but I found it readable and colorful. The author gives a detailed account of Napoleon’s campaigns in and around Calabria. He also provides the reader with detailed information on the Calabrian resistance to Napoleon, including character sketches of the “brigand leaders.â€Â
Donna Pellegrin
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: I need a book on Calabria

Post by ptimber »

There are 2,946 refernces to calabria history written in english language. I surmise that you wanted the book inenglish since yiou did not specify. if you give me your e-mail address via private mail I will try to e-mail the listings. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I have even a better suggestion which is to send an e-mail to the calabrian historian who has written many history books on Calabria. His Name is Armando Orlando and he can be reached thru his editors at armandoorlando@libero.it. I feel sure that he can suggest the appropriate book for you. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

If you go to www.g-site.com//orlando you willfind a biography on mr. orlando. Peter
DonnaPellegrin
Veteran
Veteran

Post by DonnaPellegrin »

Peter, Thank you. I visited Armando Orlando's website. What a treasure. I loved the side by side Italian and English. I will have to spend some time checking out the links on his site. Orlando's books do look good, unfortunately they written in Italian and I am only beginning to learn bits of the language. For now, I am limited to books in English.

Il Circolo Calabrese website offers these suggestions. By any chance are you or anyone else familiar with any of these books?

Antinoro-Pollozz, J. Southern Italian Society: Its Peasantry and Change. Alpine Press, 1968.

Arlacchi, Pino. Mafia, Peasants, and Great Estates: Society in Traditional Calabria. Cambridge University Press, 1983.
Excellent history of Calabrian society, examining the Cosentino, Crotonese, and Gioia Tauro in particular.

Douglas, Norman. Old Calabria, 1915.

Gardiner, Leslie. South to Calabria. William Gardiner of Edinburgh and London, 1968.
The first part of the book has solid information on the history and people of this region. There is a sense that the author is trying to portray the people and history in an unflattering light. There was a feeling that the author was "slumming" while in South Italy.

Gissing, George. By The Ionian Sea:Notes of a Ramble in Southern Italy. London: The Richards Press, 1956. Cloth, 156pp. Read it online (free)! Or order your own e-book copy: $10

Hobsbawn, Eric. Bandits.
Donna Pellegrin
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

There may be a Calabrophile listed in the google website. Why not give it a try. Peter
juanminbar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by juanminbar »

go to the site shown below and you find a great deal of information and a large collection of photos.

juanminbar

http://www.agmtravel.com/regione_di_calabria.htm
DonnaPellegrin
Veteran
Veteran

Post by DonnaPellegrin »

Thank you juanminbar. I appreciate your thoughtfulness. I'm actually searching for a book with more historical details that will help me to understand what life was like for my ancestors.
Donna Pellegrin