Name discrepancy...

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
SChiarini
Rookie
Rookie

Name discrepancy...

Post by SChiarini »

I feel like I hit a brick wall....

All my papers are in order except for one.. there is a major discrepancy on my Grandmothers birth certificate!

My great grandmothers birth name on her Italian birth certificate is Angela Ferrante but her entire life she used the name Angelina Ferrante.

On my grandmothers birth certificate it shows her mothers married name as: Lena Proscia and her mother's name before marriage as Lena Angeline.

I was thinking it was no problem to ammend these documents since i Have her birth certificate and her marriage license.... however her birth certificate says Angela but her marriage license says Angelina --- along with allllll the other paperwork I have.

I'm wondering if Vital Records can change my greatgrandmas name at all??? and if by some small miracle they can, might only change it to Angela... do you think the consulate will find an issue with this?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Name discrepancy...

Post by johnnyonthespot »

I can't keep all of you folks straight in my mind...

Which consulate are you applying at?

Most consulates do not even look at birth or death certificates for persons not in the direct line, despite what their websites say.

Certainly your great-grandmother is not in the direct line (her son/daughter would have had to have been born on/after January 1, 1948). What about your grandmother?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
SChiarini
Rookie
Rookie

Post by SChiarini »

haha - too funny!

I'm applying through NY through my GGF---->GM--->F---> Me

My grandmother's birth certificate is the issue... and she is in the direct line... I didnt think the error in her mothers name was an issue- but apparently it is!

I'm just worried they will see Angelina on my GGF and GGM marriage license-- and Angela on my GM birth certificate (IF I can get it amended and worse case scenario they can only put Angela)... and then Angelina on my GM marriage license!

I might cry in Vital Records next week... :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

I don't think it will be an issue, but you can certainly try to change it if you want.

Angelina is a dimunitive of Angela - like saying "Little Angela". From what I can see, it was not terribly unusal for an infant to be given a dimunitive name and then the child would drop the dimunitive at some point in later life. Anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong on this point.

I think this is one of those changes that the consulate will easily give you a pass on.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
themilitantcatholic
Rookie
Rookie

Post by themilitantcatholic »

Ok Johnny, here's one for you; I will be applying in Chicago through my paternal grandfather, I have all the documents with apostille's attached except for my maternal grandmother's birth certificate. Here is the issue/discrepancy; on my fathers "Delayed Record of Birth" it states that my grandmother was born in Chicago Heights, IL., on my grandfather's Naturalization paper it states that she was born in Italy. There is no record of her being born in the U.S., there is also no record of her being born it Italy, the only thing I found was on the Ellis Island website that states she was 10 months old when she arrived in the U.S., which makes it a big pain in the hind end for me. I am certain that she never applied for U.S. Citizenship, she never even made it past the seventh grade. I do have the marriage certificate for my grandparents and I am able to get the death certificate for her, what do you suggest my next step be?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

themilitantcatholic wrote:Ok Johnny, here's one for you; I will be applying in Chicago through my paternal grandfather, I have all the documents with apostille's attached except for my maternal grandmother's birth certificate. Here is the issue/discrepancy; on my fathers "Delayed Record of Birth" it states that my grandmother was born in Chicago Heights, IL., on my grandfather's Naturalization paper it states that she was born in Italy. There is no record of her being born in the U.S., there is also no record of her being born it Italy, the only thing I found was on the Ellis Island website that states she was 10 months old when she arrived in the U.S., which makes it a big pain in the hind end for me. I am certain that she never applied for U.S. Citizenship, she never even made it past the seventh grade. I do have the marriage certificate for my grandparents and I am able to get the death certificate for her, what do you suggest my next step be?
Okay, who called "Let's try to confuse Carmine!" ???

If you are applying through your paternal grandfather, why are we concerned about your maternal grandmother?

When I applied in New York City in mid-2008 using GF -> Father - Myself, the only documents presented were GF's Italian birth and marriage certificates, father's birth/marriage/death certificates, and my own birth and marriage certificates (plus grandfather's naturalization Petition with completed Oath of Allegiance).

You're going to have to un-confuse me before I can offer anything more rational than that. :)
Carmine

themilitantcatholic
Rookie
Rookie

So I assume that I can apply without my grandmother's birth certificate.
themilitantcatholic
Rookie
Rookie

I erred. I meant to say my paternal grandmother's birth certificate, the woman that married my grandfather. I am applying through my paternal grandfather, he became a U.S. citizen in 1934, my father was born in 1924. Would my paternal grandmother not be considered a direct line in this? I do have my paternal grandfather and grandmother's marriage certificate.
themilitantcatholic
Rookie
Rookie

Sorry Carmine, I have too many "irons in the fire" literally; I am refinishing the kitchen cabinets, updating a bathroom, welding a wrought iron fence, making a floating deck on the patio and cooking a lot for my sister who is visiting from out-of-town and doing detective work on this dual-citizenship thing all at once.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

themilitantcatholic wrote:So I assume that I can apply without my grandmother's birth certificate.
You seem to be applying through your father and grandfather, just as I did. I believe there are very few consulates which demand certificates for persons not in the direct line, so in your case, you would not need birth or death certificates for your mother or grandmother.

I know the consulate websites say otherwise, but we have many, many, real cases where the additional documents were not requested nor presented.
Carmine