Another Death Certificate and Amending Question

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
ande
Rookie
Rookie

Another Death Certificate and Amending Question

Post by ande »

First of all, let me thank all of you who are so generously helping me with my seemingly unending questions.
Here's the new twist. I just received my mother's death certificate and it states her father's correct name as Angelo Masino which means that along with the short form copy of my mother's birth certificate which has my mother's name as Giuseppina Masino, I can get my birth certificate corrected for my mother's maiden name from Messina to Masino. The problem now is that the death certificate has her first name as Josephine a.k.a Jean, NOT Giussepina AND the spelling of her mother's maiden name is completely wrong as Rosa Friagelli when it really was Rosa Ferricelli.
My thought now is that I should have my birth certificate amended to my mother's maiden name as Guiseppina Masino to match her New York birth certificate so I can obtain the long form copy from NY. The dates of birth all match up but not her first name and not her mother's maiden name on the death certificate which would be different from my grandparent's Italian marriage certificate.
How much of a problem is all this going to cause at the consulate? I would think that the proof that my grandfather is the same Angelo Masino born in Italy is there. What do you think?
Thanks, Ande
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Another Death Certificate and Amending Question

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Your birth certificate should most definitely match your mother's birth certificate. Her marriage and death certificates are of much less concern and carry lesser weight; when all is said and done, this entire process is all about the birth certificates.

I don't think Giuseppina vs. Josephine will be a problem; yes, it depends on the mood of the consular official on any given day, but you have a very good chance of getting a pass on this one.

Grandmother's maiden name on your mother's birth certificate will most likely not even enter the conversation.

My motto: Fix the things you can and be prepared to present a strong case for the ones you can't fix. I have no doubt you will ultimately prevail. :)
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
ande
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Another Death Certificate and Amending Question

Post by ande »

Thanks Carmine. I'm on my way!