Please help! No response after 2nd letter to Rome

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
signoretti
Rookie
Rookie

Please help! No response after 2nd letter to Rome

Post by signoretti »

Hello ~
Over a year ago I sent a request to Rome for my great grandmothers birth record.
After a month I received a letter stating they needed international postal coupons. I sent the coupons, and then after a month I received another letter stating they needed money for this request in their postal acct. but since I can do that from the U.S. I sent 5 euros, & waited 6 months and still never heard a response.
I then sent a follow up letter 3 months ago and still have not heard a response.
Who do I write now? Could someone please give me some advice to what my next letter should say and who/where should I send it?
I am really afraid my euros might have been stolen and my paperwork thrown out!
Please help me!! :? I have an appt for citizenship jure sanguinis next April in S.F. and am afraid I will not get what I need by then.
Grazie ~
Signoretti
Researching Surnames:
Signoretti, Serroni, Moretti (Citta di Castello)
Ravetta, Clerici, Motta, Colli (Novara)
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Please help! No response after 2nd letter to Rome

Post by ricbru »

Dear Signoretti,
Rome civil record office is one of the most difficult office to reach, even from Italy, no one answers the phone, no one knows anything about your sent request, I can tell you from my experience.
The only way, I guess, is to have someone there in Rome, who can walk in the office and request the record
I hope it helps
bye Riccardo
signoretti
Rookie
Rookie

Post by signoretti »

Thanks for your response Riccardo!
Do you think sending another request to Rome (registered mail and requiring a signature upon delivery) would be of any help?
Grazie ~ Signoretti :wink:
Researching Surnames:
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Well the registrated letter is better than a regular letter, but I dont know if it ever follows up
I hope it helps
bye Riccardo
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

They recently sent me a letter saying that to get a 'copia integrale' I must pay 1 (one) euro into their post office account (no other option provided) and send a SAE with the receipt and my photo ID and a letter from the 'interested party'.
It costs 1.20 euro to make the deposit! How crazy is that?
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
signoretti
Rookie
Rookie

Post by signoretti »

Thank you Riccardo for your advice and help!

Ann~
Hello :D You actually emailed me about this exact same request when I was trying to figure out what to do, because Rome wanted me to put 4 euro in their postal acct. and send the receipt to them with a SAE.
Back then I was seriously thinking about having you do that for me. But then I didn't talk with you for a couple months so decided to send the euros and see what happens (and I even sent extra euros telling them to treat themselves to coffee with the change)
I have never had problems with any other of the 15 requests I have sent to other comunes, and none have ever requested money except Rome. Now it has come to this. What should I do? Send them another request as if I was staring from the beggining, send another follow up letter? Put money into their postal acct. from the letter I received 8 months ago? It is very frustrating :(
Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Grazie ~ Emily :wink:
Researching Surnames: