If a dual Italian/Australian citizen joins the Australian Ar

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
ital1

If a dual Italian/Australian citizen joins the Australian Ar

Post by ital1 »

If a dual Italian/Australian citizen joins the Australian Army does he lose his Italian citizenship??

I have read that if an italian citizen voluntary joins the army of a foreign country they lose their Italian citizenship.... Is this true?

What about an Italian citizen woman marrying an Australian citizen man who is in the Australian Army - say she marries him 1980 - does she automatically lose her Italian citizenship by marrying an Australian soldier?

Also what if an Italian mum and an Australian dad (who is in the Australian army) have a child in Australia in the year 1989 - the child automatically gets Australian citizenship at birth (being born in Australia to Australian dad) but do they also get Italian citizenship automatically at birth too?? Does the fact that the Australian dad is in the Australian military have any effect?
fish2012

Re: If a dual Italian/Australian citizen joins the Australia

Post by fish2012 »

This is really a good news. someone know how to get ffxiv gil :D thanks
ital1

Post by ital1 »

Can anyone answer my question besides spam mails?? LOL I know it may seem like stupid question but if someone could answer I would really appreciate :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

ital1 wrote:Can anyone answer my question besides spam mails?? LOL I know it may seem like stupid question but if someone could answer I would really appreciate :)
It's not a stupid question, and many of us are just waking up. Also, things tend to slow down here a bit on the weekends. :)

Most of your questions are time-sensitive; what applies today is not necessarily what applied in 1980. Also, at least some of these matters may be impacted both by Australian and by Italian law. Honestly, I think your best answers may come from the Italian Embassy in Sydney.

Having said that, the Italian Ministry of Foriegn Affairs site ( http://www.interno.it/mininterno/export ... rsion.html ) offers some clues:
Loss of citizenship

The Italian citizenship can be lost in the following cases

By explicit renunciation in the following cases:

•If the person resides abroad and holds another citizenship
•Upon the coming of age, if the person holds another citizenship and the Italian citizenship was acquired when the person was a minor following the naturalisation of his/her parents
•Upon the coming of age, following withdrawal of the adoption, if the person holds another citizenship
Automatically in the following cases:

•In case of withdrawal of the adoption on account of a fact chargeable to the adopted person
•In case the person does not comply with the Government’s order to quit either a public post or the military service in a foreign State
That last line, about not complying with an explicit government order, may be applicable. But, again, I don't know if that requirement was the same in 1980.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Now that I have had some juice, let me add that if you are concerned about a dual citizenship case, then most of your questions probably will not come into play.

All you need for dual citizenship is to prove that the applicant has a direct bloodline to an Italian citizen. There will not be questions about military service or even if the applicant is a mass-murderer.

Based upon the little info in your original post, if the Italian mother had not deliberately renounced her Italian citizenship, then she would have passed that citizenship onto any child born on or after January 1, 1948.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
ital1

Post by ital1 »

ok well my situation is my mum was born in australia in 1960 to 2 italian citizens who naturalised after her birth in 1975. My mum married my dad who was and still is in the australian army (he is only australian) - they married around 1980ish or maybe 1983. I was born to both of them... I guess i want to know do I qualify for Italian citizenship?? I got australian citizenship right at birth but does my dad's military status affect my italian citizenship or that of my mum? (My parents divorced when I was 10)...

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

no, your dad's military status do not affect your italian citizenship,
you are eligble and you can apply
this is the complete paperworks to apply, since you use your mother-grandfather lineage

Italian Citizenship from : MOTHER - GRANDFATHER
Mother - Grandfather: Your mother was born in your native country, your maternal grandfather was an Italian citizen at the time of her birth, you were born after January 1st, 1948, and neither you nor your mother ever renounced your right to Italian citizenship. If citizenship is acquired by birth in your country and you meet all these conditions, you qualify for Italian citizenship jure sanguinis. You must obtain certified copies of the following documents:

Your maternal grandfather's birth certificate from Italy.
Your maternal grandmother's birth certificate
Your grandparents' marriage certificate (If married outside of Italy, you will need an apostille and a translation into Italian.)
Your maternal grandfather's certificate of naturalization OR statement of "No Records" .
Your mother's birth certificate (with apostille and translation)
Your father's birth certificate
Your parents' marriage certificate (with apostille and translation)
Your birth certificate (with apostille and translation)
Your marriage certificate, if applicable (with apostille and translation)
Your spouse's birth certificate, if applicable
Birth certificates for all your children under the age of eighteen, if applicable (with apostille and translation)
Any applicable divorce decrees/certificates (with apostille and translation)
Death certificates for anyone listed above (with apostille and translation, if for your mother or grandfather)

All certificates must be new “CERTIFIED COPYâ€
ital1

Post by ital1 »

Thank you for the answer!

One more question... Which consulate do I go to? I live in Sydney, Australia for study purposes (university) but I have permanent residency in Adelaide, Australia with my mum. I have proof of residence for both cities (but more for Adelaide as my bank statements, bills etc are sent there).

Also does it really matter in my case which consulate I go to. Would they take my citizenship away if I went to the wrong one?

Thanks!
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

You need to go to the closest one where you have the LEGAL residency, I guess the address on the ID or driving license is the proof
I hope it helps
bye Riccardo
ital1

Post by ital1 »

Ok well I have no license, just bank statements etc all with Adelaide address. Maybe I should go there?

Also I worry (and I know it's stupid) but can they revoke your Italian citizenship if it has been registered in the wrong consulate (or what they consider to be the wrong consulate of your residence)?

I don't know if this question makes sense lol. Thanks.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

ital1 wrote: Also I worry (and I know it's stupid) but can they revoke your Italian citizenship if it has been registered in the wrong consulate (or what they consider to be the wrong consulate of your residence)?
No!
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Hello, since you are a legal resident of Adelaide, there is an italian consulate in your town, contact it

http://www.consadelaide.esteri.it/Consolato_Adelaide

and book an appointment
ciao Riccardo

ital1 wrote:Ok well I have no license, just bank statements etc all with Adelaide address. Maybe I should go there?

Also I worry (and I know it's stupid) but can they revoke your Italian citizenship if it has been registered in the wrong consulate (or what they consider to be the wrong consulate of your residence)?

I don't know if this question makes sense lol. Thanks.
ital1

Post by ital1 »

Thanks! :)
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

You are welcome
ciao Riccardo
ital1 wrote:Thanks! :)