Faina Family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Faina

Faina Family

Post by Faina »

Hi,

I am searching information on my family origin. My last name is Faina. I would like to find put some information about this, but I do not know where and How to start a search. Can someone help me?

Thanks
J
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Faina Family

Post by johnnyonthespot »

The name Faina appears today in many parts of Italy ( http://www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi/genera.html ).

If we knew the given names of your Italian immigrant ancestors (full maiden name for the females), and their approximate year of birth, it might be possible to find their passenger manifest for their arrival into the US. With that document often comes the place of birth or at least place of last residence in Italy.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

From an etymology point of view, the name Faina is derived from an animal name. It translates into English as a beech marten. It's a small weasel-like onivore.

http://itech.pjc.edu/sctag/beech_marten/beechmarten.htm
Faina

Post by Faina »

Thanks Johnny and thanks Maestra36 for your help.

My immigrant ancestor was my ggrandfather on my mother side. I am tracing his life in US.
What I want to do now his to discover something more about my ancestors on may father side.
I would like to find a way to discover the origins of my family and then try to go in deep tracing my family tree.
I know that probably the Region of origin of my family is Umbria. probably the only was to discover something more is to search back in the past person by person. What his difficult his to manage with italian institution and with the low availability of persons employed in Stato Civile offices. So what I want to do is try to discover alternative sources of information if exist.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

If you want us to try to help you, you need to give us something specific. The name of your ancestor, any dates or information you already know, etc. Without giving us something specific as a starting point, I don't think anyone on this forum can help you.