Marinio Elenesa?

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
jpetrelli
Rookie
Rookie

Marinio Elenesa?

Post by jpetrelli »

I am seeking information about Marinio Elenesa. This location was listed in my GGF's obituary. Any direction would be appreciated.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Marinio Elenesa?

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Wow, I haven't a clue on this one.

The only thing which catches my eye is the Italian telephone directory has just a single listing for Tranello, it is in Comune di Monreale, Palermo, on the island of Sicily. It is possible that there once existed a comune or frazione named Marinio Elenesa there...

http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... o&dv=&l=en
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
jpetrelli
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jpetrelli »

Johnnyonthespot,

Thank you for the effort. Does Maestra36's response on my other message thread (http://italiangenealogy.com/Forums/view ... 18703.html) offer any other ideas?

Its pretty interesting how my threads are the only responses when you Google "Marinio Elenesa". Didn't even take them half a day...

[quote="maestra36"]I typed the name of the society in Italian (Società Marinai Elenesi)
in a google search and this came up:

ANNO 1946
Verso la fine dell’anno della liberazione della nostra terra dal giogo nazifascista, i nostri concittadini residenti a Rochester ( New York ) riuniti e affratellati nel sodalizio “Società Marinai Elenesiâ€
Researching Surnames:
Petrelli & Fumarola (Martina Franca); Camelio & Traniello (Gaeta); Aramini, Bruno & Guerra (Zagarise); Gusmano/Cusimano & Trapani (Corleone) and Caronna, Crisenza, Napoli & Torretta (Bisacquino)
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

According to http://www.google.it/url?sa=t&source=we ... jA&cad=rjt , the Società Marinai Elenesi was a group of people born in Gaeta... Elenesi may derive from Elena (maybe Regina Elena, Queen Elena of Italy).
Seraphina
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Seraphina »

Hi,

I found the following snippet of information on a website. The society was for people who came from Gaeta in the province of Latina, Lazio, and seems to refer to Sant' Elena.

The Marinai. Elenesi Societa in 1911; etc. By the1930s there were 55 such societies in Rochester.

Seraphina
Seraphina
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Seraphina »

Hi again,

I had a re-think, and I believe Livio's is the correct version of Elena.

So the society was for the people who emigrated from Gaeta (part of which may have once been called Elena) - hence the name of the society.

Seraphina
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

liviomoreno wrote:According to http://www.google.it/url?sa=t&source=we ... jA&cad=rjt , the Società Marinai Elenesi was a group of people born in Gaeta... Elenesi may derive from Elena (maybe Regina Elena, Queen Elena of Italy).
In that case, there is a single passenger manifest on Ancestry . com for a person whose birthplace is in Lazio, specifically Comune di Villa Santo Stefano, Provincia di Frosinone, Regione di Lazio; about 40 miles north-northwest of Gaeta.

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 about Ferdinando Tranello
Name: Ferdinando Tranello
[Ferdinando Tranelli]
Arrival Date: 1 Oct 1922
Birth Year: abt 1890
Birth Location: Italy
Birth Location Other: villa s stefano
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian
Port of Departure: Le Havre
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Paris

There are only two other Tranello manifests, one from Palermo and the other "Novara Liri" - a place which I haven't tracked down yet.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

I see also that an Ancestry . com search using only Birthplace: Marinio turns up three hits, two of which are for "Marinio, Sicily" - along with some 30 others which list Residence: Marinio. On the manifests which specify, the "Race or People" is given as Italy-South.

More tantalizing information...
Carmine

maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

could this be yours?

irst Name: Agostino
Last Name: Trancilli
Ethnicity: Italy
Last Place of Residence: Borgo Gaeta
Date of Arrival: Mar 26, 1894
Age at Arrival: 25y Gender: M Marital Status:
Ship of Travel: Rugia
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0223
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

The name on the original manifest looks like Tranielli
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Traniello is a surname in the current Italian white pages, so maybe the surname dropped the letter i in the U.S,
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I meant to say a surname in the name of Gaeta
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

it's too early for me, so I'll try again

I meant to say in the TOWN of Gaeta
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

maestra36 wrote:it's too early for me, so I'll try again

I meant to say in the TOWN of Gaeta
Trying to run up your "Posts: " counter, Peg? :lol:
Carmine

maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Very funny, Carmine. Actually I'm trying to pass YOU by. Wasn't it only yesterday you posted your 2500 mark and now you are up to 2673???

Really though, I'm just in a hurry this morning, and need to get out of here, but you know how addictive this forum is.

Peg