Allegati register error

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
oilman19
Master
Master

Allegati register error

Post by oilman19 »

For those of you who have followed my posts over the past year, you may remember the controversy over my grandmother's birth record.
In actuality, when she applied to get married, the birth record that was transcribed for the Allegati register belonged to her older sister born in 1888 and died in 1889. My grandmother was born in 1890 using the same name.
My question is this. Is there any value to anyone (beside me) to bring this error to the attention of the official of the town. The matrimoni annotation is on the birth act of the deceased baby and the transcribed birth act in the allegati register is for the wrong person.
Would I be wasting my time trying to get it corrected and would they care about correcting a 100 year old record?
Any input is appreciated.
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Allegati register error

Post by liviomoreno »

In my opinion they will not correct anything based on your sole input. <they will require a sentence of the tribunal and this may take years and a lot of money...
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Thank you, Livio.
It sure sounds like I should leave it alone.
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

...when she applied to get married, the birth record that was transcribed for the Allegati register belonged to her older sister born in 1888 and died in 1889.
I have seen this happen many times in allegati or processetti records. I wonder whether these are simply errors by the transcribers of the church records or whether it might have been intentional, some sort of tradition whereby the later child adopts the deceased child's birth date as an honorarium to that deceased child. I tend to think that they are simply errors but perhaps someone has some information on this.
John Armellino
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

I just assumed that because my grandparents were illiterate, and age never seemed very important, the official simply looked in the wrong year, found the right name, and had no reason to doubt its validity.
I am surprised to hear that you found that this occurred often. I can understand why, because names were frequently recycled and I have seen the same name used year after year until a baby survived. Without a proper birth year, an official would not know which book to start the search.
And all of this time I thought I had a unique situation with my grandmother.
Thank you. John, for letting me know that this was more prevalent than I thought.
Jim