United States: 2010 Best State Websites

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
vj
Master
Master

United States: 2010 Best State Websites

Post by vj »

Best State Websites for Genealogy

by Diane Haddad
at Family Tree Magazine
Location, location, location: That’s what it’s all about in genealogy, because finding out where your ancestors lived is key to locating the records they left behind.

That’s why, for the December 2010 issue of Family Tree Magazine (now mailing to subscribers), we put together a list of 75 of the best US state-focused websites for genealogical research.

As a Family History Month gift, we’ve posted all the state websites online for everyone to check out, free You’ll find at least one website per state.

Take some time to explore the sites for the states where your ancestors lived—you might find digitized documents, indexes to records, historical articles, finding aids, catalogs of holdings and more. I’ve already mined the Ohio Historical Society website for its death certificates index and the catalog of resources available at the state archives; and the Texas State Library and Archives Commission site is where I learned how to get records of Texas state penitentiary inmates (and thus confirm a family story).
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: United States: 2010 Best State Websites

Post by maestra36 »

Thanks, Valarie, for always keeping us updated.

Peg
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Valarie! :-D

Great info... thanks again!

T.
LaBud
Veteran
Veteran

Post by LaBud »

Hi VJ,
I want to say thankyou for all you do in keeping all the folks here updated with all the latest info. You are a kind, unselfish person who is wealth of information, and has helped me, along with some other "great people" here, straight from your heart.

Again, Thankyou so much.
LaBud
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hi all :D !
I'm always especially happy to share free links found by some terrific bloggers.
Although I can't imagine doing without some of my subscriptions, lately I've noticed there are more and more free sites with terrific information generated by thousands and thousands of hours of volunteers donating their time to do research and transcriptions.
Awesome!
Valarie