Two documents to translate

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
chris0202

Two documents to translate

Post by chris0202 »

Hi,
I have two documents, the first is a military discharge for Gennaro Laghetto. I am especially interested to see if his parents are named. The second is some sort of birth or adoption paper for Carmine Carbone. I have a lot of trouble with the old fashioned handwriting and I only have a rudimentary knowledge of Italian. Thanks for any help!

http://yfrog.com/n3armydischargesmj
http://yfrog.com/mibirthrecordsmj
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Two documents to translate

Post by maestra36 »

The parents are named in the first record. The father's name was Michele (deceased at the time) is written above in small letters. I can't make out what appears in the line where his first name should be, appearing after the word fu which means deceased. The mother's name was Maria Giuseppa De Simone.

The other record is a birth record.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

The birth record is dated April 6, 1864, but the male infant was born on the 3rd. His father, Giuseppe Carbone, the son of Carmine, a farmhand, age 41, was the informant in this record who made the presentation of the infant at the town hall and reported the details of his birth. His wife was Rachela D'Ambrosi,of Vincenzo, age 36. He was living on Strada Terrazzini. The infant was given the name Carmine.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Town looks like S. Valentino Torio
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

San Valentino Torio is in Salerno Province.

http://www.comune.sanvalentinotorio.sa.it/it/
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Street name should be Terrazzani not Terrazzini, as I typed above
chris0202

Post by chris0202 »

Thanks so much! So Michele would be the father's first name and the last name is illegible?
maestra36 wrote:The parents are named in the first record. The father's name was Michele (deceased at the time) is written above in small letters. I can't make out what appears in the line where his first name should be, appearing after the word fu which means deceased. The mother's name was Maria Giuseppa De Simone.

The other record is a birth record.
chris0202

Post by chris0202 »

When it says Rachela D'Ambrosi, of Vincenzo. What does the Vincenzo refer to? Is it a person or a place? Sorry for all the questions, I am a newbie for sure.
maestra36 wrote:The birth record is dated April 6, 1864, but the male infant was born on the 3rd. His father, Giuseppe Carbone, the son of Carmine, a farmhand, age 41, was the informant in this record who made the presentation of the infant at the town hall and reported the details of his birth. His wife was Rachela D'Ambrosi,of Vincenzo, age 36. He was living on Strada Terrazzini. The infant was given the name Carmine.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Gennaro's last name is Laghetto. The name that appears after the word deceased for the father looks like Massa. What looks like an "e" after the capital M, I think is just part of the handwriting for that letter.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Vincenzo is the first name of Rachela's father. He was still alive at the time she gave birth. Women in the Italian records are always under their maiden names, even when married.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Giuseppe Carbone's father Carmine was also alive when Giuseppe's son Carmine was born.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

One more thing about the military record-the word allevato appears before the name of Gennaro's father. That means he was raised or brought up by the parents listed in the record.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Just to clarify for you- the father who raised Gennaro Laghetto in the military record was named Michele Massa.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

maestra36 wrote:The birth record is dated April 6, 1864
I believe it states 1874.

T.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Thanks, T, for catching my error. It is 1974.