USCIS (will I need NARA, Census, and County Court docs)

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
JPMessina44
Veteran
Veteran

USCIS (will I need NARA, Census, and County Court docs)

Post by JPMessina44 »

It looks like the below is a trickle down IF No records if found, if USCIS says no record, back up with NARA, if Nara says no record, back up with census, etc etc.

However, I've seen the 1930 census and know that my great grandfather was PA (declaration of intent) in that year, so I know that USCIS will come back with a find. If they come back with PA or US Citizen documentation, will I still need to go to NARA etc?

I was reading and came across this on wikipedia, so this is what prompted my question:

For an Ancestor who immigrated to the US, you will need his/her naturalization records from the USCIS that shows that s/he did not become a US Citizen before their child was born.
* If USCIS responds with "No Records Found" you will have to contact NARA for the information.

* If NARA responds with "No Records Found" you will have to contact United States Census Department and ask for the census that took place before and after your Italian ancestor's child was born with the field report from the street they lived on.

*If the United States Census responds with "No Records Found" it will be assumed your Ancestor never became a US citizen and retained his/her Italian citizenship and passed it on to their child.

Thanks for your help!
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: USCIS (will I need NARA, Census, and County Court docs)

Post by johnnyonthespot »

JP,

You only need one proof of naturalization, but multiple proofs of non-naturalization. If USCIS comes back with a copy of the Petition for Naturalization, a completed Oath of Allegiance, and a copy of the actual Certificate of Naturalization, then you are godd to go.

Having said that, if NARA has the documents (except for the certificate; only USCIS has that), you will get them far more quickly and less expensively there, so NARA is a good place to start. If NARA comes back empty, then try for USCIS.

Note: In many parts of the US, NARA only holds naturalization documents for persons who naturalized in federal courts. Prior to the 1950's, a large percentage of naturalizations took place in state and county courts.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
JPMessina44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JPMessina44 »

what if he submitted his intent documents but never completed his oath or became naturalized? Would I then need no records found from multiple sources?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

JPMessina44 wrote:what if he submitted his intent documents but never completed his oath or became naturalized? Would I then need no records found from multiple sources?
Unfortunately, yes, I believe so. And remember, multiple sources means USCIS, NARA, and the state/county courts for every community in which he is known to have resided.

Let's hope you don't have to go that route. :)
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
JPMessina44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JPMessina44 »

well I certainly hope he was naturalized now! At least I know for sure that my grandfather was born before his dad ever submitted his intent.

As we all know, he's at least lived in Massachusetts, Connecticut, and NYC....*fingers crossed* he became naturalized vs the other option of getting no records from each county court!