City of Catania

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
HughTornabene
Rookie
Rookie

City of Catania

Post by HughTornabene »

I recently published two small databases.
Indexes for the Riveli of Catania for 1652 and 1682.
https://sites.google.com/site/cataniariveli1652
https://sites.google.com/site/cataniariveliindex1682
Hugh
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: City of Catania

Post by maestra36 »

Hugh
Thanks for sharing these indexes with those of us on the forum.
Peg
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I personally have found the riveli microfilm very difficult to work with and have not really found anything of value to my own ancestry. I have only attempted riveli firm for the town of Sortino in Siracusa Province, Sicily. On one roll of film, all I found was one ancestor mentioned, and the only information was a count of the number of mules he had and was taxed on. Going through that film was very time consuming and a major disappointment.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

It's also very difficult to bride the gap between 1820, when the state civil records begin in Sicily and the earlier years of the riveli microfilms. Sometimes they are two or three generations or more earlier. Unless you can get your hands on church records to fill in the missing years, you can't necessarily make a connection.
HughTornabene
Rookie
Rookie

Post by HughTornabene »

Hello Peg. I read your messages and went into adrenaline shock. Thank you.
I scanned about 20 films for the early Catania Riveli, anything before 1700.
Attached is my summary for people who I hope are my ancestors, only two names (in parentheses) are not drawn from these Riveli. Each little patch is a separate Riveli. As can be seen, some hold 3 generations.
Also attached Oratio and his family, his slave, his servants and on continuing pages his mules, properties, interest income, rental income, and bunches of stuff I do not understand; a total of 11 pages worth for this one family. In fact from the interest income items, with the percentages given, I was able to figure out the money system in use at the time.
I extracted and published the 1652 and 1682 index images as an afterthought, since there they were, available in the Riveli books, and relatively clean.
My favorite Riveli image however is from that document starved city of Messina and it fires and earthquakes. Attached also. Poor old Carlo at 16x smaller file size and not that clear any more.
I could ramble for hours about Carlo, his father and his sons. Especially his obviously missing eldest son Francesco. (his father was named Francesco). Because a Francesco appears out of nowhere at about this time, 1714, in the city of Palermo, a Francesco from whom I am descended. So as I said, I could talk about him for hours.
Anyway, what you say about difficult to work with, I concur with. However, Riveli have been a bonanza for me.
Hugh