Another Atto di Morte

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Another Atto di Morte

Post by johnnyonthespot »

What is the first name of the deceased's wife? _________ Isabella Gallo. Is there a feminine form for Gaspare?

Also, the two (three?) letter word after Sindaco.

L'anno milleottocento ottantaquattro addì venticinque di Marzo a ore antemeridiane otto e minuti quaranta nella Casa Comunale.

Avanti di me La Costa Giovanni Assessore funzionnante da Sindaco __ Uffiziale dello Stato Civile del Comune di Malvito pel titolare impedito sono comparsi Di Iacovo Francesco di anni ventiquattro, bracciale, domiciliato in Malvito e Cipolla Rafele di anni quarantaquattro, bracciale, domiciliato in Malvito quali mi hanno dichiarato che a ore antemeridiane otto e minuti trenta di ieri nella casa posta in Strada Centro al numero (none) è morto Cipolla Filippo di anni cinquantasette, bracciale, residente in Malvito nato in Malvito dal fu Archangelo domiciliato in vita in Malvito e dalla fu Salomone Rosaria domiciliata in vita in Malvito, marito di Gallo Gaspare Isabella.

A quest' atto sono stati presenti quali testimoni Giordano Rafele di anni ventidue, muratore, e Di Cianni Pietro di anni quarantasette, bracciale, ambi residenti in questo Comune. Letto il presente atto a tutti gli intervenuti si e sottoscritto da me mentre i medesimi non sanno scrivere.

The year one thousand eight hundred eighty four the twenty-fifth day of March in the morning at eight hours and forty minutes in the Town Hall.

Before me, Giovanni La Costa working with the mayor and alderman, the title of Civil Status Officer of the City of Malvito appeared Francesco Di Iacovo age twenty-four, laborer, residing in Malvito and Rafele Cipolla age forty-four, laborer, residing in Malvito which have stated that in the morning at eight hours and thirty minutes yesterday in the house on Center Street number (none stated) died Filippo Cipolla age fifty-seven, laborer, residing in Malvito born in Malvito of the deceased Archangelo who was domiciled in life in Malvito and the deceased Rosa Salamone resident in life in Malvito, husband of Gaspare Isabella Gallo.

In this act were present as witnesses Rafele Giordano age twenty-two, a mason, and Pietro Di Cianni age forty-seven, laborer, both residents in this municipality. Read this document to all participants and is signed by me as the same can not write.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Another Atto di Morte

Post by maestra36 »

I would think that the feminine version of the male name Gaspare would be Gaspara. That is the only name suggested by the handwriting but the 4th and last letters in the handwriting do not look like the letter a.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

GASPARA - significato del nome

Significato: splendente
Origine: iranica
Onomastico: 6 Gennaio
Corrispondenze: Segno Zodiacale del Leone
Numero portafortuna: 1
Colore: blu
Pietra: zaffiro
Metallo: oro

Il nome, diffuso in tutta Italia e soprattutto in Sicilia, potrebbe risalire al nome iranico della divinità dell'aria, Wayna, o alla parola sanscrita gathaspic, cioè "colui che ispeziona". Si presenta anche nelle varianti Gasparre, Gasparo, Gaspero, Gasparino, tutte in uso anche al femminile. Il nome riflette il culto per uno dei tre re Magi, che con Baldassare e Melchiorre venne dall'Oriente a Betlemme per portare doni a Gesù, riconoscendone in questo modo la divinità. La Chiesa festeggia anche il 12 Giugno s G. Bertoni, morto nel 1859, e il 2 Gennaio s. G. detto "del Bufalo", fondatore della congregazione dei Missionari del Preziosissimo Sangue, morto nel 1837. Famosi, la poetessa veneta G. Stampa (1523-1554) e il compositore e musicista G. Spontini (1774-1851). Strano miscuglio di rudezza, forza, garbo e innocenza. G. è un puro di una purezza violenta, che rifiuta con decisione il compromesso, le meschinità, e i difficili meccanismi della vita sociale. Il suo mondo è quello dei bambini, con i quali ama stare, senza complicazioni o parole di troppo, dove tutto è semplice e privo di sofisticazioni.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Could it be Isabella Gallo Gaspare?
In that order...?

T.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

from wikipedia

Femminili: Gaspara, Gaspera, Gasparina, Gasperina.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Gallo is a surname in Malvito
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

The only thing I could see being in different order would be the first and middle names
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

maestra36 wrote:Gallo is a surname in Malvito
Maybe she was from another comune? :-)

T.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

All of the surnames in the document are written first followed by the first names
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

To me, the surname is Gallo Gaspere and the name is Isabella. Gaspere could be misspelled...
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Well, it's a tough one that will probably have to wait until I find more records in the FHL films (or I just break down and contact the Stato Civile official in Malvito who has always been most helpful with my requests).

Searching the Archivio di Stato di Consenza website ( http://88.59.143.158/ascs_web/index.faces ), I cannot find any evidence of a "Gallo Gaspere" (or variant spelling). For that matter, I cannot find any variant of "Gaspara Isabella" Gallo, nor a "Isabella Gaspara" Gallo. The name Gallo, by the way, is prevalent through the area with thousands of records in the years 1800-1900.

Going in the other direction, I do have an estratto which I obtained from Stato Civile-Malvito for my maternal great-grandmother, Carolina Cipolla, born 21 May 1858. It gives her parents names as "Cipolla Filippo" and "Borrello Gallo Isabella"

At the archives website, I found these records:

Marriage of Filippoantonio Cipolla and Maria Isabella Borrello-Gallo (hyphen mine to indicate double surname) on 26 February 1857

Carolina Cipolla born to Filippo Cipolla and Isabella Borrello-Gallo 21 May 1858

Maria Rosa Cipolla born to Filippo Cipolla and Isabella Borrello-Gallo 29 June 1860

Additionally, there is a birth record for Filippo Antonio Cipolla, born 12 November 1828. I am assuming that all of these relate to the same Filippo Cipolla in the death record at the start of this thread; however there is the obvious problem of the wife's name and I am also a bit troubled by Filippo's relatively late marriage, at age 29.

PS: I just found a third child's birth record:

Maria Filomena Cipolla born 5 February 1864, parents Filipp'Antonio Cipolla aged 29 and Isabella Borrello aged 28. If the ages are correct, this messes up everything. :(
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Does anyone else think the name of the bride's father (within the red oval) is "Luigi Gallo di Gaspere"? (I am certain of the Luigi Gallo part... but what is the rest?)

If so, this would tie together the question above and also this other thread, http://italiangenealogy.com/Forums/view ... 18885.html
Carmine

Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

johnnyonthespot wrote:Does anyone else think the name of the bride's father (within the red oval) is "Luigi Gallo di Gaspere"? (I am certain of the Luigi Gallo part... but what is the rest?)
Looking at the document (though it's quite light) I would say you could make an EXCELLENT case for the "di Gaspare" part of the surname...

T.