Family History Center films

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
nmaritch
Rookie
Rookie

Family History Center films

Post by nmaritch »

Hi,
So recently I went to the FHC for the first time to view films that I requested. The only problem is that they don't have a printer. They said I could request a photocopy, but I would have to count the frames. Does anyone have a tip on doing this?

Thanks,
Nikki
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Family History Center films

Post by Tessa78 »

Some FHC have the ability to save to a flashdrive. You could inquire about that?

But I am surprised there isn't AT THE LEAST a printer :-( Hmmmm...

T.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Years ago, I was in contact with a woman who lived in upstate NY and her local FHC was very small and had no printer either. I can't imagine renting microfilms with Italian records and not being able to print them or save them to a flash drive.
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

Tessa78 wrote:Some FHC have the ability to save to a flashdrive. You could inquire about that?

But I am surprised there isn't AT THE LEAST a printer :-( Hmmmm...

T.
Mine had a printer, but the quality was so bad, I didn't even upload the document for translating. You could barely read any of what it said.

You know what you could try? A digital camera. We bought one yesterday (not even an expensive one, actually it was fairly cheap!). Anyway, I tested it out on a document I got a while ago, and here is what it looked like:

http://img140.imageshack.us/f/img0136s.jpg/
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Not bad quality. I have seen others using digital cameras to copy records. I often thought about trying that, but then never bothered. Old habits are just hard to break.
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

maestra36 wrote:Not bad quality. I have seen others using digital cameras to copy records. I often thought about trying that, but then never bothered. Old habits are just hard to break.
No, not bad at all. And there isn't exactly top of the line equipment at my FHC. In fact, 2 out of their 3 microfilm "machines" are like tables and the images are projected down onto them, with a little wheel one the side to change records, and a crank at the top to move around the record.
My Italian surnames:

Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

You know what you could try? A digital camera.
Great idea! Worth a shot (no pun intended :lol: )

T.
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

Tessa78 wrote:
You know what you could try? A digital camera.
Great idea! Worth a shot (no pun intended :lol: )

T.
:lol: Thanks, Tessa!
My Italian surnames:

cargor
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cargor »

I have also used a digital camera but make sure you turn off the flash...especially if the film images are projected down on lighted tables. Otherwise you will have a big flash of light showing up in your pictures. It works great in a pinch or no printer is available.

Carolyn
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

A few years ago, my first experience at an FHC was in Woodbridge, CT and it was, to be kind, a wasted effort.

Although they had a printer, it was nearly impossible to get any sort of usable output from it. And, although I did not think to try a digital camera at that time, my recollection of the microfilm readers they had available is such that I don't think a camera would have worked out very well.

More recently, I thought I would try again, this time at the Newtown, CT facility - specifically because one of our forum members mentioned that they had the equipment for scanning images to a flashdrive. All I can say is, Wow!, what a great experience! I plan to spend a lot of time at this facility in the coming months. :)
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

You are all making me feel very fortunate.

I happen to live near the Hartford Stake Center of LDS. I am told it is the largest and best in the area. Since it is the one closest to me, that is good news.

I typically review a few hundred records/visit unless I am searching for a particular record. I then scan the records (if the scanner is not in use) that I have noted so that I now have a permanent electronic record for any future use. Once I get home, I scrutinize every record I have scanned for use in my family tree.

I can't imagine having to do it any other way. It is quite efficient.
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
cargor
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cargor »

Jim, you ARE lucky!!! I haven't been to my LDS center since the end of July [August they were closed]. Actually, I don't even know if they are still open because there was talk that they were closing...not enough staffing available. I have some films there on permanent loan which will be gone for use for me. They said they will not make them available elsewhere. However, I feel fortunate that I don't have 100's of microfilm like others do on permanent loan...some patrons have been going there for 15-20 years and now they may lose lots of their time and money that was invested. Sorry ...little change of subject but I wanted others to know that each center is different. I encourage everyone to use the LDS centers...they really have so much information. I have found so much by looking at the films that may have taken me years to find by other methods.

Carolyn
donnawright
Elite
Elite

Post by donnawright »

MY FHC is just 5 miles from me. It is the first and only one I have used and have been going there for the last year. It is open 5 partial days a week and one full 9-5 day. All of the volunteer staff is friendly and try hard; some are quite experienced. I mentioned to the director some of the negatives I have read on the forum and he said he's aware of other places not being so service-minded or equipped .... depends on the local interest and importance placed on the family search function and the ability to staff with volunteers. If the director of the function is not strong, good luck recruiting volunteers! Also, some of the older people fight technology. I'm snug as a bug.
Looking for Biagianti, Modesti & Vincenti in Tuscany and Tomaino, Curcio, Mazza, & Rizzo in Calabria
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

As mentioned, I am fortunate to have what is available to me at my center. However, it is only open Tues and Wed (10-2,7-9) and Sat (9-1). Since I am still working, these hours are not very convenient for me. Also, there is much demand for the scanner and so it is not always available.
I simply make time whenever I can to pursue my interests.
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I personally have never understood why, if a patron is willing to pay the postage, one local center cannot mail permanent loan films to another center. if a patron relocates, as I did. They are of no use just sitting in the drawers of the original center. They are supposed to remain on permanent loan at that center, but I've witnessed permanent loan film being discarded by the center's director, when a patron, in whose name the films are, has not returned to view them in more than five years.