Translation question: can co-worker translate for me?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
JPMessina44
Veteran
Veteran

Translation question: can co-worker translate for me?

Post by JPMessina44 »

I will be going thru the NJ- Newark consulate, so as documents start to come in, I am thinking ahead to certify, notary, apostille and transation.

I have a guy who does translation on the side, whom I work with in banking...he offered to translate free of charge (born/raised in Italy until he was 24 yrs old.)

Will this be satisfactory for the consulate or do I need to go to a pay for service translation company or translator?

I dont want to put my co-worker thru all of this if it will not be accepted to begin with.

Please give your thoughts. Appreciate it!
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Translation question: can co-worker translate for me?

Post by johnnyonthespot »

The NYC consulate accepts any translations for simple certificates (birth/marriage/death) so long as they are accurate. It has been my understanding that complex material such as divorce decrees required certified translations, however I have no direct experience with such material.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
JPMessina44
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Translation question: can co-worker translate for me?

Post by JPMessina44 »

Excellent. I'm hoping he will be accurate being he lived and was born there! Saves a lot of time and money, so that's good. I will only have birth, death, and marriage to translate, knock on wood, no divorces in the family. Thanks Carmine!