Sailors Tattoos

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
ymorrow

Sailors Tattoos

Post by ymorrow »

Hi all,
My Italian GGF had several tattos, of crown and wreath, star and anchor, and most intriguing one on his right hand that read Loumak-Psarro 1858.

Surely there is someone out there that might be able to tell me the import of this one in particular? Is the word Loumak Italian?

Please help if you can,

thanks,
Yvonne
DeliBoy
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Sailors Tattoos

Post by DeliBoy »

Yvonne,

Firstly let me make it clear that this is just intelligent guesswork, possibly just guesswork.

Neither Loumak nor Psarro are Italian words.

In the case of Psarro, it is the Ps at the start. This looks like a transliteration of the Greek letter psi Ψ. At the risk of sounding like the father in My Big Fat Greek Wedding, all words starting in ps are Greek in origin.

In the case of Loumak, it is the letter K on the end. There is no K in the modern Italian alphabet, but again Greek seems possible as an origin.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Sailors Tattoos

Post by suanj »

ymorrow wrote:Hi all,
My Italian GGF had several tattos, of crown and wreath, star and anchor, and most intriguing one on his right hand that read Loumak-Psarro 1858.

Surely there is someone out there that might be able to tell me the import of this one in particular? Is the word Loumak Italian?

Please help if you can,

thanks,
Yvonne
Hi:
I think that this tattoo is an symbol of some ship, and probable Loumak or Lounak and similar version, are name ship; Psarro: Pesaro? Pesaro is an Adriatic port in Italy...
regards, suanj